History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sigglesthorne, Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8943 / 53°53'39"N

Longitude: -0.2448 / 0°14'41"W

OS Eastings: 515440

OS Northings: 445666

OS Grid: TA154456

Mapcode National: GBR VRQD.TQ

Mapcode Global: WHHG5.6CPW

Plus Code: 9C5XVQV4+P3

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431519

Location: Sigglesthorne, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Sigglesthorne

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sigglesthorne St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Sigglesthorne

Listing Text

TA 14 NE SIGGLESTHORNE B 1243
(west side)

6/55 Church of Saint Lawrence
16.12.66
GV II*

Church. Early C13 west tower (restored 1616, 1763), C13 north and south
nave arcades, north aisle and chancel of 1827. Restored by Pearson 1848.
Cobbles and brick with stone dressings. Some ashlar, lead roofs. 3-stage
west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and south chapel, 2-bay
chancel with north vestry. West tower: low chamfered plinth, angle
buttresses, chamfered string-courses. Lancet under hoodmould to 1st stage,
central plaque to 2nd stage with inscription GG:TE and sundial, with bronze
1616
TA
gnomon, of 1818. Belfry openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights with attached
shafts and vesica over in enclosing pointed arch with attached shafts and
roll moulding under hoodmould. Inscription (illegible) of 1763 to west
elevation. Crenellated parapet. nave: 2 chamfered lancets to south aisle,
3 chamfered lancets to clerestory. C19 lancets to south chapel. South
porch has mediaeval pointed door under hoodmould: plaque over records
restoration of 1848. Chancel: lancet to west, paired lancets to east, all
under hoodmoulds with foliage stops. Pointed priests' door under similar
hoodmould with monarch head-stops. 4-light east window with reset late
Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. Interior: early C13 north and south
arcades, rebuilt C19. Waterholding bases, cylindrical piers, and attached
shafts to responds, supporting pointed double-chamfered arches. Similar
chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on attached shafts. 3 wall monuments to
members of the Gibson family in north aisle: George Gibson, died 1809:
inscription with urn and willow leaves over, heraldic shield and laurel
leaves beneath; Mathew Topham Gibson, died 1833, very similar (by T. Earle,
of Hull); and Jane Richardson (nee Gibson) died 1839: inscription and
obelisk with mourning figure (by Patric Park of London).


Listing NGR: TA1544045666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.