This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6401 / 54°38'24"N
Longitude: -1.2392 / 1°14'21"W
OS Eastings: 449200
OS Northings: 527486
OS Grid: NZ492274
Mapcode National: GBR MGSS.JF
Mapcode Global: WHD6L.YM2P
Entry Name: Hospital Chapel
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249890
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432113
Location: Greatham, Hartlepool, TS25
Civil Parish: Greatham
Built-Up Area: Greatham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Greatham
Church of England Diocese: Durham
GREATHAM FRONT STREET
(off west side)
12/22 Hospital Chapel
Chapel (C. of E.), dated 1788 above east window; on medieval foundation on
south side; porch and vestry 1976, by Elder Lester Associates. Coursed
limestone rubble with dressed quoins at angles; slate roofs. Nave, no
chancel; west porch under tower with additional west porch and vestry.
Diminutive 3-stage tower has door of 6 fielded panels under fanlight with
glazing bars, in moulded surround. String courses between stages; 2
circular belfry openings to east and west sides and one to north and south
sides. Pyramidal slate roof with iron weather-vane finial. 3-bay nave has
round-headed sash windows with glazing bars, and similar east window with
lower part partly blocked. Corbel table at eaves and verge; roof hipped at
east end. Interior has painted dado panelling; medieval piscina built into
south end of east wall; medieval stone altar table; brass memorial
inscription around perimeter of rectangular grave cover in centre aisle.
Panels of bas relief by John Bunting, in C20 porch/vestry. V.C.H. Durham,
1928, Vol. III, p. 242/43.
Listing NGR: NZ4920027486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings