This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2209 / 51°13'15"N
Longitude: 0.4676 / 0°28'3"E
OS Eastings: 572419
OS Northings: 149751
OS Grid: TQ724497
Mapcode National: GBR PRQ.K13
Mapcode Global: VHJML.2K2X
Plus Code: 9F326FC9+93
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432265
Location: Hunton, Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Civil Parish: Hunton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hunton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
Tagged with: Church building
TQ 74 NW HUNTON
4/108 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late C11 or C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, and 1866.
Restored 1876 by Ewan Christian. Uncoursed ragstone rubble with plain
tile roof. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel with
south chapel and north vestry. West tower: C13. No plinth. Divided
into 3 roughly equal stages by flush ashlared stone bands. Diagonal
north-west and south-west buttresses with chamfered stone plinths.
Pyramidal spire clad with wood shingles. Weathervane. Single hollow-
chamfered lancet to each face of belfry except east, and to north and
south of second stage. Broader, doubly recessed shafted west lancet.
Pointed-arched moulded west doorway with moulded hoodmould, and ribbed
medieval door. Rectangular south-east stair turret with (re-used?)
tufa quoins, shingled lean-to roof continued from spire and small
triangular-headed south lancet. South aisle: C15. No plinth. South
buttress. Plain stone-coped parapet. 2-light pointed-arched C15 west
window and 2 square-headed C15 two-light windows to east of porch.
South porch: c.1513. Broad and gabled, on chamfered stone plinth.
Diagonal buttresses. Small chamfered rectangular light to east and
west. 4-centred arched hollow-chamfered outer doorway in moulded
rectangular architrave with carved spandrels and hoodmould. Cavetto-
moulded pointed-arched inner doorway with squared moulded hoodmould
and encircled quatrefoils to spandrels. Ribbed medieval inner door.
Panelled and studded outer door. Moulded axial beam. Continuous
stone benches. South chapel: C15, refaced or rebuilt in 1866.
Snecked stone on chamfered stone plinth. 3 windows in a C15 style.
Pointed-arched south doorway. Chancel: C13, possibly with late C11
or early C12 core. Projects slightly further than chapel. Channelled
render to east end, with dressed stone plinth. 3-light C19 east window
in a C15 style. Broad chamfered north lancet. North vestry: probably
1866. Snecked stone. 2 north lancets and pointed west doorway. Nave,
north elevation: late C11 or C12. No plinth. Tufa quoins. Two late
C13 or early C14 two-light north windows with tracery of uncusped
quatrefoils and sexfoil, and with hoodmoulds. Central C15 three-light
north window with tracery of vertical bars, and moulded hoodmould with
angles to label stops. Part of a blocked round-headed tufa window to
east of centre. Interior: structure: 3-bay C15 south arcade to nave
of doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal columns with
moulded capitals and bases. C14 chancel arch with continuous chamfered
outer order, and thick chamfered inner rib springing from semi-octagonal
columns with moulded capitals. Tall pointed C13 tower arch with moulded
imposts. C19 north and south arches to chancel and between south
chapel and south aisle. Pointed cavetto-moulded rere-arches to west
window of south aisle, and east window of south chancel chapel.
Moulded and shafted arch to central window of north aisle. Moulded
cambered rere-arches to south windows of south aisle. Broad chamfered
lancet to south wall of chancel, blocked by chapel. Roof: 4 moulded
octagonal crown-posts to nave on doubly hollow-chamfered tie-beams.
Lean-to roof to south aisle, divided into square panels by butt purlins.
Canted roof to chancel with C19 boarding. C19 scissor-braced roof to
south chancel chapel. Fittings: Late C13 double sedile to east end of
south wall of chancel, with attached pillar piscina across south-
east corner, all with moulded Bethersden marble shafts and partly
renewed cusped crocketed gables. Bell base and stiff-leaf capital to
pillar of piscina. To west of sedile, hollow-chamfered east jamb of
a cusped pointed arch. Octagonal font with traceried panelling.
Fragments of medieval stained glass to central north window of nave.
Monuments: white marble monument in south-west corner of nave (formerly
in front of sedile) to Lady Anne Fane, d.1663; pedestal, central section
of which breaks forwards, with inscription on raised panel. String of
husks to narrow remaining panels of front. Moulded segmental pediment
over cornice, with shield; 2 further shields set towards rear, and large
gadrooned urn. White marble bust over south door to Henry Hatley,
d.1716. Bust on tapering moulded plinth with shield to base. Tablet
on south wall of south aisle to Thomas Turner, d.1776. Rectangular
white marble tablet with black border, rectangular consoled plinth and
beaded triangular pediment with antefixae. Tablet on south wall of
south aisle to Thomas Durant Punnett, Gentleman, d.1785. Rectangular
white marble tablet on a black marble ground with moulded consoled
plinth incorporating shield, foliated side panels, moulded cornice with
antefixae, surmounted by relief of mourner by urn. Erected 1812.
Signed Regnart, Hampstead. Monument (dresser tomb) against north wall
of chancel to Sir Thomas Fane of Buston, Knight, Lieutenant of Dover
Castle, and wife, both d.1606. Alabaster chest tomb with tooled stone
plinth and moulded Bethersden marble lid, festooned and trophied side
panels and woman and child in relief. Recumbent alabaster figures of
deceased above. Alabaster canopy with trophied Corinthian pilasters
flanking coffered arch with rose flowers to soffit, and with gadrooned
and moulded cornice. 2 obelisks and central corniced panel with
achievements. Rectangular brass on north wall of chancel to Francis
Fane, d.165(1?), with heraldic device to small top plate. Large white
marble hanging monument spanning north-east corner of nave, to Thomas
Fane, d.1692. Gesticulating bust on gadrooned pedestal, with mourning
putti, flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters and outer inverted scrolls,
and with moulded cornice arched over centre, surmounted by urns.
Inscribed panel, with moulded plinth and gadrooned cornice, breaking
forwards under bust, with fruited side panels. Diminishing gadrooned
and foliated base with shield. Erected 1711. Possibly by Edward
Stanton (J. Newman). Moulded and cusped C14 tomb recess to north wall
of nave, with crocketed finial and carved heads to label stops. Plain
white marble tablet on north wall of nave, to Sir Henry Campbell-
Bannerman, d.1908. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and the Weald,
Listing NGR: TQ7238349757
Other nearby listed buildings