History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Richmond Footbridge, Lock and Sluices

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Richmond, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4624 / 51°27'44"N

Longitude: -0.317 / 0°19'1"W

OS Eastings: 517015

OS Northings: 175056

OS Grid: TQ170750

Mapcode National: GBR 75.NR3

Mapcode Global: VHGR2.GH9S

Entry Name: Richmond Footbridge, Lock and Sluices

Listing Date: 25 May 1983

Last Amended: 5 March 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250044

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432275

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW1

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: North Richmond

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Richmond

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Isleworth

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK

8/13 Richmond Footbridge

The entry shall be amended to read:-


TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK

8/13 Richmond Footbridge,
lock and sluices

II*


Foot bridge incorporating lock and sluices. 1891, designed by the
engineer F.G.M. Stoney (1837-97) who took out 7 patents relating
to sluices between 1873 and 1894, but design of the lock-houses
by the surveyors Hunt and Steward and ironwork by the firm of
Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich. 2 parallel 5 arched bridges of
cast iron supported by stone piers with brick and stone lock
houses at each end. Each bridge has 5 flat arches of cast iron
with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone
piers have round-headed niches to keystones above pointed
cutwaters. Elaborate cast iron balustrade with lamp standards
positioned over centres of arches. On each bank the bridge is
elevated on a brick base serving as a lock keepers cottage with
stone dressings and double flight of steps. The overall span is
of 348 feet. The central 66 feet spans incorporating 3 sluices
which can be raised and stowed horizontally in the space between
the 2 bridges. Beneath the outer spans, each of 50 feet were
three parallel lines of rollers of which one now remains. the
bridges carry public walkways (all closed at time of survey) and
there is a toll booth of brick and weather boarding with fretted
canopy at the upper level on the Surrey side. This bridge has
considerable importance in the history of hydraulic engineering
as Stoney first applied here the principal of the floating sluice
gate and here pioneered his apparatus for turning the lifted
gates into the horizontal position. These principals were later
used in his Manchester Ship Canal (1894) and Aswan Dam (1902).

------------------------------------

1.
5028 RICHMOND LOCK

Richmond Footbridge
TQ 1675 & 1775 8/13

II


2.
1894. Five-arched bridge in cast-iron upon stone piers.
Ironwork by Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich and "Stoney's Patent" used for associated
sluices. Two parallel bridges joined by blue brick piers. Each bridge 5 flat arches
of cast-iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers
with niches to keystones above cutwaters. Elaborate cast-iron balustrade. Lamp
standards positioned over centres of arches. Bridge elevated on both banks upon
brick and stone base with double flight of steps.


Listing NGR: TQ1701575056

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.