This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2169 / 52°13'0"N
Longitude: -1.8759 / 1°52'33"W
OS Eastings: 408575
OS Northings: 257637
OS Grid: SP085576
Mapcode National: GBR 3JW.SPT
Mapcode Global: VHB08.FJNW
Entry Name: Minerva Needle Works
Listing Date: 21 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432323
Location: Alcester, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Alcester
Built-Up Area: Alcester
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alcester St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
The following building shall be added:
SP0857 STATION ROAD
419-0/4/10000 (North East side)
Minerva Needle Works
Needlemaking factory. Circa 1880-5 for Alfred Allwood, needlemaker; C20 extension at
rear. Red brick with terracotta dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof with lead roll hips and
crested ridge tiles. 2 small brick axial stacks. PLAN: Long and shallow 20-bay range with 2
short rear wings at either end, the righthand wing's SE return has a 5-bay front; the space
between the rear wings has been infilled by a C20 extension. Italianate style. EXTERIOR:
3 storeys. 20-bay south west front with round-headed windows in recessed panels with
enriched moulded terracotta imposts and heads and ramped cills. Also moulded terracotta
eaves course. Multi-pane cast-iron windows. Central doorway with segmental arch.
Righthand south east return is similar, but 5 bays and with round-headed doorway. At rear
2-bay wings to left and right, C20 extension between the wings and 3 bays to right.
INTERIOR: Part of the rear wall of the main range has been demolished creating partly
open plan on the ground and tint floors. HISTORY: William Allwood and his son Joseph
were needlemakers in premises at Henley Street, Alcester, but here they employed
outworkers for such stages in the manufacturing process as spitting and packeting and the
scouring would have been done by another mill. The firm was so successful that in circa
1880-5 Joseph Allwood's son, Alfred, moved to this purpose-built factory in Station Road.
It is believed that all the processes of needlemaking were done here. The needle's brand
name was Minerva and the firm also produced hat-pins with glass birds on the end. In 1912
the premises were bought by Terry's Springs, makers of the Anglepoise lamp. SOURCE:
Needlemakers and Needlemaking of Alcester, Sambourne and Studley Area, paper no.24;
Alcester and District Local History Society; 1981.
Listing NGR: SP0857557637
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings