This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7536 / 52°45'13"N
Longitude: 1.2605 / 1°15'37"E
OS Eastings: 620131
OS Northings: 322319
OS Grid: TG201223
Mapcode National: GBR VDV.7J8
Mapcode Global: WHMT1.B1HV
Plus Code: 9F43Q736+C6
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Botolph
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Last Amended: 18 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228017
Location: Hevingham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10
Civil Parish: Hevingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hevingham St Mary the Virgin and St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 22 SW HEVINGHAM CROMER ROAD
6/59 Parish Church of
10/5/61 St. Mary The Virgin
and St. Botolph.
(Formerly listed as Church of
G.V. I St Botolph)
Parish church, mainly C14, of flint with stone dressings and lead, slate and
tile roofs. West tower, 2 storey south porch, nave, south transept and chancel.
2 stage tower with stepped angle buttresses. Perpendicular 3 light west window,
single light sound hole and 2 light belfry openings with cusped 'Y' tracery.
Parapet with flushwork quatrefoils. South porch has floor removed. C15 doorway
with attached columns with capitals. Above a 3 bay Perpendicular window with
transom and 2 central vaulted niches. East and west 2 light windows with
straight heads. Nave with 2 north and 2 south 3 light windows with "petal
pattern" tracery of the Decorated period. Additional 2 light window on north
nave wall. Stepped buttresses between the windows. South flushwork parapet
inscribed 1894. South window of transept with Reticulated tracery, and paired
lancets to west. C19 3 light window to east. Diagonal buttresses. Chancel
with 3 C19 windows to north and 2 C19 windows and C19 priests door to south.
Angle buttresses at east end, with C19 Geometric style east window. Brick
buttress on north side of nave, and cusped arched niche indicates site of former
transept. C15 moulded oak north and south doors, and C15 oak doors to parvais
and tower. Restored hammerbeam roof with angels at the ends of the beams.
Blocked arch to former north transept, and arch to south transept with has
C19 single framed roof. Perpendicular arch to chancel which has arched tomb
recess in south wall. Angle piscina c.1300, and dropped sill sedilia. East
window reveal has attached shafts with undercut capitals of late C13 date.
Collection of English mediaeval glass and imported glass from the Cloisters
of Steinfeld in south nave window. 4 fine C14 oak desks with fronts decorated
with a blind arcade of ogee cusped arches with ½ shafts with base and capitals.
Between the arches, quatrefoils alternating with mouchette wheels. C14
hexagonal font base with C19 top. Clustered columns at the angles, with
mutilated figures between, including crucifixion.
Listing NGR: TG2013122319
Other nearby listed buildings