History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Headland and Harbour, Hartlepool

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6857 / 54°41'8"N

Longitude: -1.2095 / 1°12'34"W

OS Eastings: 451062

OS Northings: 532586

OS Grid: NZ510325

Mapcode National: GBR MGZ8.Y2

Mapcode Global: WHD6F.DH95

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 10 November 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432343

Location: Hartlepool, TS24

County: Hartlepool

Electoral Ward/Division: Headland and Harbour

Built-Up Area: Hartlepool

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Stranton

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Hartlepool

Listing Text

HARTLEPOOL CHURCH SQUARE
NZ 5132
(in middle of road)
11/48
Christ Church
10.11.82

G.V. II*

Church, now redundant, 1850-54 by E.B. Lamb (London). Rockfaced, snecked
limestone; plain clay tile roofs. Quasi Early English style. Aisled nave,
transepts, aisled and ½-octagonal apsed chancel; vestries in angles of nave
and transepts; and west tower. 4-stage tower, 2nd and 3rd stages being
deeply set back behind broad chamfered string courses; high battered parapet
on corbel table, has pierced balustrade. Vice at south-east angle rises
above tower as turret having splay-footed spirelet. Clock mechanism by W.
Potts (Leeds) 1911, with faces applied to belfry openings on north, east and
west faces. Porch to west side of tower. Early English style to windows
and other details generally. Rose windows to transept gables. Tripartite
east window. Crossing lit by octagonal timber lantern with tiled,
sprocketed, low-pitched fleche. Good stained glass in chancel and transept
windows. Most internal fittings removed, except for west gallery of wood,
and octagonal oak pulpit on carved stone pedestal. Disused at time of
survey.


Listing NGR: NZ5106932586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

HARTLEPOOL CHURCH SQUARE
NZ 5132
(in middle of road)
11/48
Christ Church
10.11.82

G.V. II*

Church, now redundant, 1850-54 by E.B. Lamb (London). Rockfaced, snecked
limestone; plain clay tile roofs. Quasi Early English style. Aisled nave,
transepts, aisled and ½-octagonal apsed chancel; vestries in angles of nave
and transepts; and west tower. 4-stage tower, 2nd and 3rd stages being
deeply set back behind broad chamfered string courses; high battered parapet
on corbel table, has pierced balustrade. Vice at south-east angle rises
above tower as turret having splay-footed spirelet. Clock mechanism by W.
Potts (Leeds) 1911, with faces applied to belfry openings on north, east and
west faces. Porch to west side of tower. Early English style to windows
and other details generally. Rose windows to transept gables. Tripartite
east window. Crossing lit by octagonal timber lantern with tiled,
sprocketed, low-pitched fleche. Good stained glass in chancel and transept
windows. Most internal fittings removed, except for west gallery of wood,
and octagonal oak pulpit on carved stone pedestal. Disused at time of
survey.


Listing NGR: NZ5106932586

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.