History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brownstone Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Morchard Bishop, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8669 / 50°52'0"N

Longitude: -3.7226 / 3°43'21"W

OS Eastings: 278878

OS Northings: 108896

OS Grid: SS788088

Mapcode National: GBR L6.TLRQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 362T.5KB

Entry Name: Brownstone Cottage

Listing Date: 4 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432502

Location: Morchard Bishop, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Morchard Bishop

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Morchard Bishop St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kennerleigh

Listing Text

MORCHARD BISHOP
SS 70 NE
5/100 Brownstone Cottage
-
- II

House, formerly a farmhouse. Probably C16 core, much rebuilt in late C16-early C17,
mid C17 improvements, modernised and enlarged circa 1971. Plastered cob on rubble
footings, rubble stacks with C19 and C20 brick chimney shafts; circa 1971 slate roof
(formerly thatch). 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south-west with
inner room at left (north-west) end. Circa 1971 addition at right angles to service
room. Large lateral stack and newel stair projecting together from front of hall
and rear lateral stack projecting from service room. 2 storeys. 5 window front of
circa 1971 casements with glazing bars. Passage door between hall stack and circa
1971 stone buttress and secondary glazed door with circa 1971 hood to former inner
room. Roof hipped each end.
Interior: good internal features, mostly late C16-early C17. Passage-hall partition
is an oak plank-and-muntin screen which includes central pair of flat-arched doors
and a moulding along the head beam ornamented with rows of cut canted eyelets and
serifs. Upper end of hall has similar oak plank-and-muntin screen. Its muntins are
chamfered with cut diagonal stops. The moulding along the head beam is more
elaborate than the passage screen and includes a band of carved foliage which
changes to a more geometric pattern to the rear over the doorway. The head of the
door is missing. Hall has chamfered and step-stopped cross beam and stone fireplace
with oak lintel, chamfered with straight cut stops, and includes and inserted brick
oven. To right of the fireplace square-headed oak door frame to tight newel stair
and low flat-arched door frame to first floor. Roof was mostly replaced circa 1971
but side-pegged jointed cruck with mortices for threaded purlins survives over hall-
inner room screen, but the large framed infil including a tie beam with head of
round-headed door has been reset. Sevice end apparently rebuilt in mid-C17 and has
chamfered elm cross beam with bar-runout stops, and service fireplace has brick side
oven.
Brounston is first mentioned in 1330 and the house is documented back to 1491
(owners research).


Listing NGR: SS7887808896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.