History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Saltburn-by-the-Sea, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5619 / 54°33'42"N

Longitude: -0.9799 / 0°58'47"W

OS Eastings: 466058

OS Northings: 518994

OS Grid: NZ660189

Mapcode National: GBR PHLP.MG

Mapcode Global: WHF87.XLJN

Plus Code: 9C6XH26C+Q2

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 25 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432743

Location: Skelton and Brotton, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Civil Parish: Skelton and Brotton

Built-Up Area: Skelton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Skelton with Upleatham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Listing Text

NZ 61NE SKELTON & BROTTON HIGH STREET
(north side), Skelton

3/24 Church of All Saints
25.5.66
II*

Church 1884-85, by R.J. Johnston (Newcastle). Dressed sandstone with ashlar
dressings; plain clay tiled roofs. Decorated stlye, with reticulated, flowing and geometric tracery. Continuous nave and chancel, with aisles continued to
first bay of chancel; north-east and south-east vestries; and south-west tower
over porch, linked to nave by intermediate porch. 4-stage tower has angle
buttresses with offsets, vice at south-east angle and string courses between
stages. South doorway of 3 moulded orders, holding ornamental iron gates,
under ornamented panel enriched with shields, bosses and crocketed pinnacles.
Clock faces to third stage. Bands of blank shields below paired bell openings
separated by lesenes rising from angel corbels. Gargoyles to head of lesenes
and at angles of tower, below pierced embattled parapet. 5-bay nave has south
doorway and 4 windows to north aisles. 2-bay chancel has square window set
high in easternmost bay. South aisle has buttresses capped with crocketed
pinnacles, between bays; hoodmoulds to windows; moulded eaves cornice with
carved bosses continued across south wall of chancel; and straight parapet.
Ornamental stack at south-west angle of chancel. Moulded plinth to tower,
south aisle and south-east vestry. Interior: timber fan-vaulted ceiling with
carved bosses in tower porch. 5-bay nave arcades have octagonal piers,
responds and capitals and arches of 2 moulded orders. Similar arches to
chancel aisles. Pine pews with linenfold panels at ends. Wall panelling to
sill-height in nave. Hollow-moulded timber wall-plates with bosses and
brattishing. Barrel roof has carved bosses. Good iron gates to doorways in
chancel walls. 3-bay sedilia and credence niche with traceried heads under
moulded cornice bearing shields, bosses and crenellations. Marble mosiac
sanctuary floor by Burke & Co., (London). Good stained glass; east window 1891
by Shrigley & Hunt (Lancaster); west window 1921 by J.W. Bewsey; south aisle
1898 by Burlison & Grylls (London), and 1970 by Paul Quail. Carved oak
octagonal pulpit on stone stem. Octagonal stone font 1859, with enriched sides
to bowl, on 2 steps. Early C13 bell at west end of nave and fragment of C11
sundial with runic inscription, in porch; both from Old Church of All Saints
(q.v).


Listing NGR: NZ6605818994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.