History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morchard Bishop Church of England Primary School, Including Playground Boundary Wall to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Morchard Bishop, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8545 / 50°51'16"N

Longitude: -3.7449 / 3°44'41"W

OS Eastings: 277276

OS Northings: 107564

OS Grid: SS772075

Mapcode National: GBR L5.VF3T

Mapcode Global: FRA 361V.2W0

Entry Name: Morchard Bishop Church of England Primary School, Including Playground Boundary Wall to South

Listing Date: 4 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432824

Location: Morchard Bishop, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Morchard Bishop

Built-Up Area: Morchard Bishop

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Morchard Bishop St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Lapford

Listing Text

MORCHARD BISHOP CHURCH STREET (north side)
SS 7607 - 7707
- Morchard Bishop
11/140 Morchard Bishop Church of England
Primary School, including
playground boundary wall to south
GV II

Primary School. 1872 according to the headmaster. Snecked volcanic stone with
Hamstone detail and dressings; disused snecked volcanic stacks, their chimney shafts
removed; red tiled roof including bands of fish-scale tiles and with alternate plain
and crested ridge tiles. Gothic style. L-shaped building with long main block
facing south with crosswing projecting forward from left (west) end. Main range has
2 front lateral stacks. Single storey. Balanced but not symmetrical 5-window front
to main block with main door roughly central. A 2-storey porch with low diagonal
buttresses and half-hipped roof surmounted by a wrought iron floriated cross, has a
pair of Hamstone 2-light Decorated-style windows with plate tracery; the ground
floor arch was removed circa 1960 when flat-roofed extension built in front. From
either side of porch a moulded drip course is interrupted by the windows but carried
round the projecting stacks and the wall batters slightly outwards near the ground.
To the right of the porch is, first a square-headed 2-light mullioned window, then a
similar 3-light window and beyond the stack at right end is a square-headed 9-pane
window with chamfered Hamstone reveals. To left of the porch are similar 9-pane
windows either side of redundant stack. The gable end of the crosswing has a large
4-light arch-headed Hamstone window with hoodmould, upper transom and Decorated-
style plate tracery. The moulded drip course steps up to the window on each side.
At the top of the gable is a narrow lancet ventilator to the roofspace. The roof
of the wing is carried down over a small lobby with a diagonal buttress on the
corner set in the angle of the 2 wings. The outer side of the wing has a pair of 2-
light mullioned Hamstone windows. The roof is high and ornamented by horizontal
bands of rounded fish-scale tiles. At the right (east) end a narrow gap between the
school and School House (q.v.) has a low connecting red tile roof and a Hamstone
shoulded-headed arch. The low mudstone rubble boundary wall to the street includes
a reused date stone set to right of blocked central gateway. It is inscribed N...
(the second initial is defaced) above the date 1665 and the intials TE.


Listing NGR: SS7727607564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.