This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9648 / 50°57'53"N
Longitude: -4.3773 / 4°22'38"W
OS Eastings: 233159
OS Northings: 121071
OS Grid: SS331210
Mapcode National: GBR K9.MGY7
Mapcode Global: FRA 16QK.GGP
Entry Name: Manor House Hotel
Listing Date: 19 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432889
Location: Woolfardisworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Woolfardisworthy
Built-Up Area: Woolfardisworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woolfardisworthy West All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 32 SW
5/226 Manor House Hotel
Hotel formerly house. Circa 1500 remodelled in circa early C17 considerably
extended in C18 probably 1751 with further addition in later C20. Rendered stone
rubble walls. Hipped slate roof. Brick stack at each end of front range and one
axial to rear wing.
Plan: the rear wing is in fact the earlier with the front part of it at least
dating back to circa 1500 when it had an open hall with central hearth. This hall was floor with a stack inserted and either extended or reroofed in circa early C17. It may have been a 3-room-and-tnrough-passage house of which the lower end has been remodelled on the C18 front block. This may correlate to a datestone of 1751 found in an outbuilding with the initials of Bartholomew and Sarah Prust. It consists of 2 rooms with a central entrance hall and stair wing behind in angle with earlier rear wing. To the rear of this again a C20 extension was added.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-window front to C18 block of early C19 12-pane hornless sashes. Central possibly C18 doorcase with Doric columns, cornice and entablature and semi-circular fanlight over 6-panel door. At rear is wing behind left-hand end with hipped stair wing in angle between 2 ranges and C20 extension beyond.
Interior: front range has early C19 moulded ceiling band in right-hand room with
flowers in corners and corresponding pilastered architraves to windows. C18 open
string staircase with turned balusters, column newels and wreathed handrail. Front room of rear wing has re-used late C17 bolection moulded panels applied to the walls and a contemporary moulded wooden cornice with dentils below. The room behind has a good quality intersecting moulded beamed ceiling of circa early C17. Above this room is one original smoke-blackened roof truss with plastered over feet which has a yoke at the apex and had a morticed collar and threaded purlins. Beyond it is a C17 roof truss with collar halved on with dovetail lap-joint. To the rear of this is a thick full-height wall with signs in the plaster of a barrel ceiling. Beyond it again is another C17 roof truss.
This building shows an interesting development of plan form with some good quality features and it occupies a prominent position in the centre of the village.
Listing NGR: SS3316521071
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings