This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3909 / 51°23'27"N
Longitude: -2.2042 / 2°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 385888
OS Northings: 165780
OS Grid: ST858657
Mapcode National: GBR 1RV.MKB
Mapcode Global: VH96P.R93L
Plus Code: 9C3V9QRW+98
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250853
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433228
Location: Atworth, Wiltshire, SN12
Civil Parish: Atworth
Built-Up Area: Whitley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Atworth
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/12/2016
ST 86 NE,
CHURCH STREET (south side),
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Anglican parish church. C15, rebuilding 1832 by H. E. Goodridge of
Bath. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate roof. Nave and chancel under
one roof with west entrance, C15 tower to earlier church stands
detached on north side. Pointed moulded west doorway with original
ribbed door, hoodmould, string course carried over to a point, 3-light decorated window and oculus over, flanking pilasters carried
up to pinnacles, Lombardy frieze to sides. North and south side of
nave/chancel have three 2-light decorated windows with hoodmoulds.
East end has angle buttresses; 3-light decorated windows with
hoodmoulds, flanking buttresses and pinnacles with trefoil Lombardy
frieze at west end. Detached north tower linked to nave by short
passage; 4 stages with diagonal buttresses, string courses; pointed
moulded west doorway with square hoodmould, 2-light window with
cusped arched lights, square hoodmould to second stage, arrow loop
to third stage, bell stage has 2-light square-headed louvred windows
with cusped lights, cornice with water spouts to battlemented
parapet, gabled tiled roof. Stair turret on north side has ogee-
headed doorway with planked door, arrow loops, gabled roof. East
side of tower retains blocked tower arch to former nave and former
INTERIOR: West vestibule below gallery on cast-iron columns
supporting shallow Tudor arches, gallery front with tromp l'oeil
panels, organ pipes in gallery. Five-bay roof over whole space
with moulded tie beams and vertical struts. Chancel separated by
steps; polychrome tiled floor, 1881 communion rail. Pointed
doorway on north wall to tower. Fittings: pews of 1881, polygonal
stone pulpit with blind traceried panels, brought here from
Melksham, C19 octagonal stone font, pointed stone prayer boards on
east wall. Stained glass in east window 1930s by Hugh Easton in
memory of wife of Sir John Fuller of Neston Park. Gothic monument
on south wall to Bernard Powlett of Cottles (died 1700), classical
marble tablet to Mary Webb (died 1800). Good collection of C17 and
C18 tablets in the tower, including two with foliage carved oval
borders to Edward Tydcomb (died 1689) and to Mary Abbott (died 1693).
Three bells dating from 1350, 1786 and 1606.
(SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Atworth
History Group, Atworth - A Little History, 1977).
Listing NGR: ST8588865780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings