This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1182 / 52°7'5"N
Longitude: 1.1516 / 1°9'5"E
OS Eastings: 615862
OS Northings: 251333
OS Grid: TM158513
Mapcode National: GBR TM3.3ZL
Mapcode Global: VHLBL.X141
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433480
Location: Henley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Henley
Built-Up Area: Henley
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Henley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HENLEY CHURCH LANE
TM 15 SE
4/118 Church of St. Peter
Parish church, mediaeval with extension and restoration of mid C19. Nave,
chancel, west tower, south porch. A parish room was added to the north side
c.1860. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; a parapet
gable at the east end. The late C13 south nave doorway reuses billet-and
chevron-carved voussoirs from a late C12 arch, and in the jamb is a well-
carved foliate capital from a nook shaft, no doubt from the same arch. Other
C13 work includes a plain north doorway, cusped pointed windows in the
chancel, with matching piscina and dropped cill sedilia with squinches, and a
little arched aumbry in the north wall. Arched upper and lower doorways from
the destroyed roodloft stairs may perhaps be of C13 also. Canted and ceiled
nave roof is of C15 or earlier (the chancel roof was rebuilt C19, but with the
previous C15 moulded cornice refixed). The C15 south porch has a moulded
doorway with image niche above (now containing a C19 figure of SC. Peter), and
side windows of splayed gault brick. Beside the porch is an inserted C15
grotesque corbel, perhaps taken from elsewhere in the building. C15 inner
south door with original ironmongery; other C15 alterations include 2 large
north windows. Over the west doorway of the tower is a panel of freestone
with a fine carved frieze incorporating an inscription to Thomas Seckford
(died 1505). This is the probable commencement date for the tower. The
doorway has shields in the spandrels, and above is a large west window. The
upper stage of tower has much fabric of red brick suggesting a 2nd phase.
Diagonal buttresses have flushwork panels with crocketed heads. Lionhead
gargoyles. In the south nave wall is a fine terracotta window of c.1525, one
of an important group commissioned by Sir Philip Booth of Shrubland Old Hall,
Coddenham whose private chapel has two windows by the same Italian craftsman.
Above the window is a panel bearing a pair of dolphins, below is a frieze with
delicately moulded heraldry, and on the jambs and mullions are arabesques and
other enrichment. The east window is of C19 in the C14 manner. In the nave
is a wall tablet to Mrs. Elizabeth Vere (wife of John), d.1717. Two floor
slabs in the sanctuary of 1673 and 1682, and two more in the nave of 1713 and
1793. On the nave wall are three C17/C18 painted coats of arms of Lozenge
form. For details of the terracotta window and for comparable examples, Brick
Building in England; J.A. Wright: 1972.
Listing NGR: TM1586251333
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings