This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2566 / 51°15'23"N
Longitude: 0.4447 / 0°26'40"E
OS Eastings: 570684
OS Northings: 153661
OS Grid: TQ706536
Mapcode National: GBR NPZ.57G
Mapcode Global: VHJMC.NPF2
Plus Code: 9F327C4V+JV
Entry Name: Barham Court
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251014
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433580
Location: Teston, Maidstone, Kent, ME18
Civil Parish: Teston
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Teston St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
Tagged with: English country house
TQ 75 SW TESTON
House. Remodelled circa 1791-1792 by B.H. Latrobe (his first job). Largely
rebuilt 1932-33 by Sir Herbert Baker after fire, except cross-wing, which
may be by Latrobe. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).
Channelled render to cross-wing, plain render to main range. Slate roof.
Double-depth main range running east-west. Cross-wing to west end, projecting
slightly to north and south. 2 storeys on rendered plinth. Plat band,
moulded to wing. Rusticated quoins to wing. Moulded rendered cornice and
balustraded parapet. Roof of main range hipped to east with small bell cupola.
Wing hipped to north and south. 11 rendered stacks. North elevation: irregular
fenestration of 12 recessed sashes; four 12-pane to east half of main range;
two 12-pane to west half over portico, flanking three round-headed sashes
with moulded eared architraves, shouldered bases, and keystones. Three 12-pane
sashes with thin glazing bars to cross-wing. 15-pane sashes to ground floor.
Single-storey stuccoed portico with moulded cornice on four pairs of Ionic
columns to west half of main range. Central section of portico infilled
to form porch, containing panelled double doors with semi-circular fanlight,
in eared round-headed architrave with achievements to keystone. West
elevation of wing 3 bays. Conservatory attached to ground floor; stuccoed,
on 2 moulded stone steps, with low plinth, moulded cornice, parapet, and
paired engaged Ionic columns, Multipane glazing between columns and hipped
glazed roof. South elevation: overlooking Medway valley. Twelve 12-pane
sashes, and one 2-storey rendered and glazed porch with pedimented gable
to west of centre. 2 single-storey pilastered rectangular bay windows with
balustraded parapets. Service wing running north from east end of north
elevation. Stuccoed. 2 low storeys, with plain parapet. Three 12-pane
first-floor sashes and 3 round-headed ground-floor sashes. Returns to east
to connect with north-west wing of stables. Interior: only partly inspected.
Central east-west ground-floor corridor to wing, with rounded west end. Rooms
to north and south of corridor with late C18 plaster friezes and ceilings.
Enriched marble fireplace to each room. Main range with concrete floors,
under-floor heating, and 3 ground-floor rooms decorated in an C18 style, with
plaster cornices and ceilings. Eared round-headed door architraves. Entrance
all with cantilevered staircase with turned balusters in an C18 style.
William Wilberforce stayed frequently in late C18.
Listing NGR: TQ7068453661
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings