History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Wall, Northumberland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0205 / 55°1'13"N

Longitude: -2.1001 / 2°6'0"W

OS Eastings: 393696

OS Northings: 569560

OS Grid: NY936695

Mapcode National: GBR FBSD.42

Mapcode Global: WHB25.Q24H

Plus Code: 9C7V2VCX+6X

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Last Amended: 24 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433603

Location: Wall, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Wall

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: St Oswald-in-Lee with Bingfield

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Chollerford

Description

WALL ST OSWALDS
NY 96 NW
4/364 Church of St Oswald
(previously listed as
15.4.69 Church of St Oswald-
in-Lee)

GV II

Parish church; on medieval site, rebuilt 1737 and remodelled with addition of porch
1887 by W S Hicks. Squared roughly -tooled stone with rusticated quoins at
southern angles, and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof, except for stone slates
on porch. Rectangular plan with south porch; west end is vestry, with nave/vestry
division wall carrying C19 bellcote. C19 work in simple Perpendicular style.
South elevation 5 bays, the 2nd with projecting porch; diagonal buttresses, boarded
double doors in double-chamfered arch with small 2-light window over; coped gable
with finial cross. Nave windows square-headed of 2 trefoil-headed lights, with
lead-latticed glazing; between eastern bays a sundial dated 1737 with moulded
cornice and base. Coped gables, the western with small corniced stack. Ridge
bellcote has ogee-headed opening under gabled coping with trefoiled kneelers, and
finial cross. Finial cross on east gable. East end shows C19 3-light window;
north and west walls plain; 2 large stepped buttresses on north. Interior: Porch
has stone benches, south door wave-moulded pointed arch. No nave/chancel division.
Boarded dado; sill of east window lowered to form reredos. 6-bay roof of late
C18/early C19: principal-rafter trusses with collars, braces and struts; tie-beams
replaced by iron rods. One C18 hatchment. Carved C12 corbel built into north
wall. Roman altar with later socket for cross shaft. The church is built on the
site of the Battle of Heavenfield in 634, when King Oswald of Northumbria defeated
Cadwalla.


Listing NGR: NY9369669560

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.