History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Offton, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0982 / 52°5'53"N

Longitude: 1.0057 / 1°0'20"E

OS Eastings: 605971

OS Northings: 248694

OS Grid: TM059486

Mapcode National: GBR SKS.H2C

Mapcode Global: VHKF2.DJ1C

Plus Code: 9F4332X4+77

Entry Name: Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434304

Location: Offton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Offton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Offton with Bricett

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Description

OFFTON CASTLE ROAD
TM 04 NE
6/145 Court Farmhouse
-
- II
Farmhouse, C15 with alterations of c.1600 and later. A 3-cell open-hall
house; the service cell to right is of 2 storey cross-wing form. The hall
range is of 1 storey with attics. Timber-framed and plastered; the hall range
is partly encased in C19 painted brick. Plaintiled roof with gabled casement
dormer. Axial C16 chimney of red brick. A rear chimney in the cross-wing is
incorporated in a red brick gable of c.1700. Mainly C19 casements, some with
transomes; in the wing are early C19 small-pane sashes, some with sidelights.
At the cross-entry position is a fine, but altered 2-storey entrance porch of
c.1600; the jetty has a moulded fascia board, this and the gable tie-beam and
the bargeboards are all billet-carved, and at the eaves are pierced drop
finials. Another larger finial formerly hung from the apex. The head
survives from an oriel over the entrance. Boarded C19 entrance door. The 2-
bay hall has an open truss with arch-braced cambered tie-beam, damaged by
alterations. Complete coupled-rafter roof, smoke-encrusted. In C16 a large
fireplace was built against the cross-passage. C1600, an upper floor with
good chamfered joists was inserted in the hall. In C17 the crosswing walls
were raised and the upper floor and roof rebuilt; many reused rafters are
mediaeval and blackened. Known as Lost Farmhouse until early C20.


Listing NGR: TM0597148694

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.