This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3539 / 51°21'14"N
Longitude: -1.9951 / 1°59'42"W
OS Eastings: 400436
OS Northings: 161647
OS Grid: SU004616
Mapcode National: GBR 2V1.0FH
Mapcode Global: VHB4G.C7MF
Entry Name: Premises on East Corner of New Street
Listing Date: 9 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434432
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Devizes
Built-Up Area: Devizes
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Devizes St John
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1042 NEW PARK STREET
(South West Side)
Premises on east corner
of New Street
(Also known as "Long's Stores")
SU 0061 3a/169 9.4.54.
Tobacco and Snuff factory, built as a silk mill by John Austie in 1785 (rainwater
heads). Yellow stock brick on projecting coursed rubble base. 3 storeys plus
a later 4th storey. Plain stone lst floor sill course. Panelled stone 2nd
floor sill course. Plain stone frieze and moulded cornice at 3rd floor sill
level. Shallow moulded stone cornice and small blocking course over 4th floor.
Concealed hipped slate roof. Symmetrical 11 bay front with 4½ ins projection
to 3 centre bays, through whole height. Centre part: 3 windows on 4th floor
- 2 bulls eye windows on 3rd floor flanking top of wide 3 light lunette on
2nd floor - 2 windows and central hoist door on 1st floor - 2 windows and
central double window in arched recess on ground floor. The flanking wings
each have 4 windows to upper floors and on ground floor: 4 windows to left
hand and 3 windows and recessed 6 panel door to right hand with plain rectangular
fanlight. All windows, recessed sashes, glazing bars intact. Adjoining front
to left is a yard entry with fine double cast iron gates between modern brick
piers. Spear head rails and dog rails, cross bars. Inverted anthemion finials
alternate with spear heads at top.
The sidsde towards New Street was rebuilt in 1831. Similar design with cornice
and sill courses returned, 3 windows to 4th floor, large tripartite lunette
on 3rd floor, 2 windows to 1st and ground floor. Slightly recessed 3 storeyed
extension of 2 windows.
The interior has oak beams and elm joists.
A plain building, carefully worked out. Dominates the street which is wide
enough to avoid overpowering effect.
Listing NGR: SU0043661647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings