History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thornwaite Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornthwaite with Padside, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0264 / 54°1'35"N

Longitude: -1.7201 / 1°43'12"W

OS Eastings: 418431

OS Northings: 458971

OS Grid: SE184589

Mapcode National: GBR JPFW.DD

Mapcode Global: WHC8B.K233

Entry Name: Thornwaite Mill

Listing Date: 3 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251688

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434463

Location: Thornthwaite with Padside, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Thornthwaite with Padside

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Darley

Listing Text

THORNTHWAITE WITH PADSIDE DACRE LANE
SE 15 NE (west side)

13/153 Thornthwaite Mill
II
Corn mill and mill house, now house and storage. Early-mid C19. Coursed
squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, approximately 8
bays; a long range composed of (left to right): 2- or 3-bay offices and
storage, 5-bay mill range with wheel-house to rear, and right bay projecting
and gabled, and a 2-bay miller's house far right. Facade: ground floor of
offices - doorway with tie-stones and a C20 window; 2 part-blocked windows
in plain surrounds above. Mill range: a wide board door in tie-stone
surround, 4-pane sash to left, 25-pane sash to right, both in plain stone
surrounds. Door flanked by windows also to first floor, the window to left
enlarged mid C20. Projecting bay: part-blocked window in front bowed wall,
ground floor; sash with glazing bars above; both have large flush sill and
lintel. Projecting band and semicircular recess to pedimented gable. Mill
house: (main range, far right) - C20 glazed door with tie-stone jambs, mid
C20 frames in original stone surrounds to windows. Shaped kneelers and
gable copings, end stacks. Interior: central section only examined: ground
floor - stone blocks set in flooring with recesses for framework of missing
machinery. Large timbers support first floor, some possibly reused. Wheel-
house against rear wall has remains of overshot wheel, in derelict
condition. First floor: trap doors and stairs in straight flights. Roof
structure: double queen strut roof with notched carpenters marks, 3 trusses
over central range, one over house. The 1851 and 1871 censuses record that
the building was then a corn mill with Ralph and William Umpleby the
millers. The brick building to rear was built probably when the building
was used by Fernbeck Dairies, late C19 - mid C20. A barn next to the mill
was converted to a dwelling mid C20.


Listing NGR: SE1843158971

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.