History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flushing Inn monks Way

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rye, East Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9505 / 50°57'1"N

Longitude: 0.7347 / 0°44'4"E

OS Eastings: 592180

OS Northings: 120348

OS Grid: TQ921203

Mapcode National: GBR RZ1.6LB

Mapcode Global: FRA D6FL.N14

Plus Code: 9F22XP2M+6V

Entry Name: Flushing Inn monks Way

Listing Date: 12 October 1951

Last Amended: 21 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434750

Location: Rye, Rother, East Sussex, TN31

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Rye

Built-Up Area: Rye

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Rye

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Playden

Listing Text

In the entry for:
MARKET STREET
TQ 9220
1/27 Number 3
Number 4 (The Old Flushing Inn)
12.10.51 Number 5

GV II

the entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 9220 RYE MARKET STREET

1/27 Number 3 (Monks Way)
Number 4 (Flushing Inn)
12.10.51 Number 5

GV II* (star)

------------------------------------

1.
1578 MARKET STREET

No 5
No 4 (The Old Flushing Inn)
No 5
TQ 9220 1/27 12.10.51.

II GV


2.
C15 timber-framed houses with overhanging upper storeys, largely refaced
in the C18. 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows in all. The ground floor
is C18 brickwork painted. The 1st floor of Nos 3 and 5 is covered with
plaster, but the studs and moulded bressumer below have recently been exposed
to view in No 4. A dentilled eaves cornice was added in the C18. The
ground floor of No 4 was underbuilt. Tiled roof. Nos 3 and 4 have 1 dormer
each. Nos 3 and 5 have C18 sash windows. No 3 has 2 small bay windows
on the ground floor (glazing bars missing), No 4 still has casement windows
but they have been enlarged. A small blocked window space is visible on
either side of the 1st floor window. No 4 has an obtusely pointed doorway
with carved spandrels. Nos 3 and 4 originally consisted of a hall and 2
wings. The hall and part of the west wing are now in No 4, and the east
wing is No 3. The VCH says that the ground floor of the hall has a C15
ceiling, an open C16 fireplace and a mural painting of 1536-1537, also
the original roof of the upper storey. Behind the hall is a C16 addition.
No 5 has an original extension to the south, with a chimney stack and large
open fireplaces. Behind this is a small building of about 1500, with an
overhanging upper storey on the west This building also has an arched
doorway with carved spandrels, mediaeval cellars below Nos 3 and 4. In
the 1st half of the C18 No 4 was an inn called the Flushing. During this
period it was owned by the butcher John Breads who murdered Allen Greball
in 1742. He was the last man to be hanged in Rye, and his skull and the
iron frame in which he was gibbetted are preserved in the Town Hall.

Durrant House, Nos 3 to 7 (consec), Town Hall and L Rochelle, East Street
form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ9217920345

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.