History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church and 2 Attached Houses to East

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bootle, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2814 / 54°16'53"N

Longitude: -3.3719 / 3°22'18"W

OS Eastings: 310776

OS Northings: 488176

OS Grid: SD107881

Mapcode National: GBR 4LWX.SZ

Mapcode Global: WH71N.5NL5

Entry Name: United Reformed Church and 2 Attached Houses to East

Listing Date: 14 July 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76305

Location: Bootle, Copeland, Cumbria, LA19

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Civil Parish: Bootle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Bootle St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Bootle

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

BOOTLE CHAPEL LANE
SD 18 NW
(south side)
12/15
United Reformed Church
and 2 attached houses
to east
GV II
The grade shall be amended to II* (star).

---------------------------------------------

BOOTLE CHAPEL LANE
SD 18 NW
(south side)
12/5 United Reformed Church
and 2 attached houses
to east
II
Church and 2 houses. Church founded 1780, houses dated 1780 and 1808.
Roughcast stone, the chapel stucco, slate roof hipped to east end. Top cornice,
chapel has moulded plinth and reeded pilaster strips. East elevation of
3 bays. Windows have stucco surrounds, those to gallery round-headed, fixed
small-paned glazing. Central entrance has 4-panel door, and stone recording
foundation by Joseph Whitridge above. North elevation has 3 round-headed
windows, the 1st blind but with glazing bars, to chapel, houses of 2 storeys and
3 plus 2 bays. Windows have stucco surrounds and are sashed, house to left,
glazing bars, house to right vertical glazing bars and horns, some crown glass
panes. Entrance to 2nd bay has 6-fielded panel door and heart-shaped datestone
inscribed: "JW/1780"; entrance to 4th bay has datestone inscribed: "IA/1808".
2 cross-axial stacks and gable-end stack. Rear has C20 hall, not of interest,
to chapel, which has 2 round-headed windows, round-headed stair window to
house. Chapel has headstone of founder (died 1793) and family to north
elevation; 2 ornate headstones to east elevation, 1808 and 1822.

Listing NGR: SD1077688176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.