History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Shepton Montague, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0842 / 51°5'2"N

Longitude: -2.4555 / 2°27'19"W

OS Eastings: 368193

OS Northings: 131746

OS Grid: ST681317

Mapcode National: GBR MX.CXCH

Mapcode Global: FRA 56R8.175

Plus Code: 9C3V3GMV+MR

Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435027

Location: Shepton Montague, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Shepton Montague

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Description

SHEPTON MONTAGUE CP
ST63SE
LOWER SHEPTON
24.3.61
5/270 Church of Saint Peter

GV II

Church. C13 origins, mostly C15 work surviving serious fire of 1964. Cary stone cut and squared, Doulting stone
dressings; copper sheet roof between coped gables with finials. Only 3-bay nave survives with tower doubling as porch
on centre South side; extent of C13 chancel denoted by low stone walls. C13 tapered jambs to pointed chancel arch now
blocked in East wall, including 4 stone fragments from former chancel, possibly C12 work. Nave plinthed, no buttresses;
windows pointed arch 3-light C15 traceried, mostly restored 1855 and 1966, all under labels; matching 2-light window in
shallow recess in West wall with carved head stops to arched label over blocked C15 4-centre arched doorway with square
label and foliage in carved spandrils. Tower of 2-stages with angled offset buttresses to South East and South West
corners; plinth, string courses, crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles; 4-centre arch with arched label into porch,
with recessed 2-light window with restored C15 style tracery over; to top of tower on all faces simple windows with
pairs of segmental arched lights filled with pierced stonework baffles, small block sundial at base of stage-2 South
side. Porch has plaster panel and beam ceiling and fine moulded 4-centre arched inner door, with legend Port Esy-ds
Thomas, worked into arch moulding. Inside was gutted by fire and all work renewed in 1966; stained glass to former East
window, dated 1926, incorporated into centre window North wall; above South doorway fine hatchment of Queen Elizabeth
II by Somerset Guild of Craftsmen. (Guide to Church, undated).


Listing NGR: ST6819331746

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.