History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Horncastle, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2036 / 53°12'12"N

Longitude: -0.1491 / 0°8'56"W

OS Eastings: 523724

OS Northings: 368990

OS Grid: TF237689

Mapcode National: GBR HR8.546

Mapcode Global: WHHKH.PQ6X

Plus Code: 9C5X6V32+C9

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252132

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435068

Location: Langton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Langton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Langton with Old Woodhall St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Thimbleby

Listing Text

TF 26 NW LANGTON MAIN STREET
(north side)

3/121 Church of
St. Margaret
14.9.66
II

Parish church. Mid C13, C15, 1750, heavily restored and partly
rebuilt by W. Scorer in 1890-1. Green sandstone rubble blocks,
limestone ashlar dressings, some red brick. Plain tile roofs
with overhanging eaves and bell supported by timber frame in
west gable. Nave and chancel in one. West front with pointed,
ashlar dressed doorway with moulded jambs, hood mould and plank
door. North side of nave with outline of 2 blocked, pointed bays
of C13 north arcade. Tiny lancet in east gable of nave. North
side of chancel, plain. East end with pointed C19 window with 3
cusped, ogee headed lights and tracery. South side with 2
pointed C19 windows, each with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and
mouchette. Interior 2 bay north arcade of c,1250 partially
exposed, with double chamfered, pointed heads. Polygonal pier
with polygonal moulded capital and similar respond capitals, the
lower sections of which are covered by painted panelled dado that
runs round entire nave. C13 chancel arch with pointed, double
chamfered head that dies into rectangular jambs. South wall of
chancel with pointed, chamfered piscina. C16 chair with barley
sugar columns flanking tall back and panel carved with figure of
St. Margaret. Richly carved pulpit, chest and lectern by J.
Conway Walter, Rector, in 1891, in late C16 style. Font
consisting of several medieval fragments; the base, a keystone
of a late C12 rib vault from Kirkstead Abbey; the bowl, of
Barnack stone with bulbous corners, discovered in St. Lawrence
Street, Horncastle. Terracotta chrismatory set in pointed
chamfered opening for stoup in west wall, of medieval Moorish
origins, and discovered in Moat of Poolham Hall. C19 Baptismal
shell with roundels containing scenes from the Life of Christ,
brought back from Bethlehem in 1860. Fragmentary, free standing
stoup on south window ledge of nave with roll mouldings on 3
corners. 2 large, weathered tomb stones re-set on either side of
west doorway.


Listing NGR: TF2372468990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.