This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7442 / 50°44'39"N
Longitude: -4.3654 / 4°21'55"W
OS Eastings: 233212
OS Northings: 96510
OS Grid: SX332965
Mapcode National: GBR NL.2DHP
Mapcode Global: FRA 17R3.TBB
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 14 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435118
Location: Tetcott, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Tetcott
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tetcott with Luffincott
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 39 NW TETCOTT TETCOTT
2/59 Church of the Holy Cross
Parish church. Fabric of nave and chancel C13, south transept C13 or C14, tower C15,
vestry probably C19. Stone rubble with granite dressings, the tower ashlar masonry
with granite quoins and lacing, slate roofs.
Nave, chancel, west tower, south transept, south east vestry, south west porch.
Early English and Perpendicular with considerable C19 replacement. A C13 nave and
chancel church may have been extended in the C14 by the south transept. The vestry
is probably a late medieval structure but may have preceeded the tower.
The chancel has a C19 3-light Decorated east window with bar tracery, a chamfered
lancet on the north side has buff brick jambs but the head of the window appears to
be medieval. 3 windows to the north side of the nave, the easternmost is a tall 2-
light square-headed cusped Perpendicular window, the 2 westernmost windows are
chamfered lancets, the masonry C19 externally but probably medieval internally. On
the south side the westernmost window is a trefoil-headed C19 lancet with hoodmould
and label stops, to the left of the porch a circa late C13 trefoil-headed lancet.
The small C19 south west porch has a gabled slate roof and a segmental arched stone
doorway and a canted ceiled waggon roof with ribs and bosses. The south transept has
a rebuilt gable and a 3-light granite Perpendicular south window with a hoodmould and
label stops. The south east vestry is set back from the transept and has a roll-
moulded arched granite doorway on the south side and a probably re-sited trefoil-
headed lancet on the east side. Slim unbuttressed battlemented 3-stage west tower
with polygonal corner pinnacles with tall crocketted finial. Moulded segmental-
arched west doorway with a hoodmould, label stops and carved spandrels. 3-light
Perpendicular granite west window with a hoodmould and label stops, 1 rectangular
chamfered opening at bellringers' stage on the east face, 2-light chamfered arched
belfry openings on all 4 faces.
Interior Plastered walls; chamfered chancel arch; double-chamfered tower arch, the
inner order carried on large granite corbels. C19 canted boarded waggon roof to nave
with moulded ribs and bosses, C19 scissor brace roof to chancel. Trabiated C19
timber opening into south transept with pierced cusped spandrels, transept roof
similar to nave. The chancel fittings are circa early C20 with a timber reredos,
altar and poppy-head choir stalls, the sanctuary lined with a brattished dado of
linenfold panels. The timber drum pulpit with blind tracery panels is probably also
early C20. C12 font, the bowl with a carved frieze, the base with palmette carving
and profile heads to the corners. Some unusual rustic circa early C16 or later
benches survive, carved with leaves and architectural detail. The south transept is
the Arscott family pew and contains some C17 and C18 woodwork which has been
incorporated into the seating. Wall monument in transept to John Arscotte, sheriff
of the County, died 1699, Corinthian columns flank an inscription panel below a
scrolled pediment with armorial bearings above. Several good C18 wall monuments.
Window above the font late 1880s by the Hardman Co.
The church forms part of an important group including Tetcott Manor (qv) and
Listing NGR: SX3321296509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings