History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Benedict

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.174 / 53°10'26"N

Longitude: -0.108 / 0°6'28"W

OS Eastings: 526552

OS Northings: 365774

OS Grid: TF265657

Mapcode National: GBR JT1.3HF

Mapcode Global: WHHKQ.9HS2

Plus Code: 9C5X5VFR+JQ

Entry Name: Church of St Benedict

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252195

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435077

Location: Scrivelsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Scrivelsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scrivelsby St Benedict

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Horncastle

Listing Text

TF 26 NE SCRIVELSBY CHURCH LANE
(west side)

4/130 Church of
St. Benedict
14.9.66
G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C13, C15, heavily restored 1860 and 1876.
Coursed greenstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs
with stone coped gables and cross finials. North-west tower with
spire, nave with north aisle, chancel. Limestone tower of 1860
with plinth, 2 stage angle buttresses and north doorway with
pointed head, continuous moulded surround, rectangular hood mould
with head label stops and plank door. Pointed west window of 2
cusped ogee headed lights with quatrefoil, hood mould and head
label stops. Bell openings on 4 sides, each with a pointed head,
2 pointed cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops.
Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles. Recessed spire with 4
lucarnes and finial with wrought iron cross. Rubble plinth runs
round entire church. 2 C19 windows alternate with 2 stage
buttresses on north aisle, both rectangular with 2 cusped ogee
headed lights and hood mould. North side of chancel with early
C15 pointed, blocked doorway with continuous moulded surround,
hood mould and head label stops. Moulded string course to east
runs beneath tall, narrow, pointed C15 window with 2 cusped ogee
headed lights and panel tracery, mostly renewed in C19. East
end with 2 stage diagonal buttresses and moulded string course
running beneath C19 east window with shallow triangular head, 3
cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops. South side of
chancel with moulded string course running beneath a single,
tall, narrow, pointed C15 window with panel tracery, hood mould
and head label stops. 2 similar windows in nave, to west, with a
2 stage buttress and 2 pointed C19 windows beyond, the latter
with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, 2 mouchettes, hood mould and
head label stops. West end of north aisle with a similar C19
window with a large C15 gargoyle head re-set above. C19 interior
tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head supported on
ornate, foliate corbels. 5 bay early C13 north arcade with semi-
circular reponds, octagonal piers each with 4 slender attached
shafts, moulded capitals and pointed double chamfered heads.
Gargoyle set in western-most spandrel. Early C15 aumbry in north
wall of nave with ogee shaped head. C19 chancel arch with
pointed, double chamfered head supported on triple roll responds
with moulded capitals. C15 screen restored in C19, with 5
traceried cusped ogee headed openings and delicate panel tracery.
Early C15 tall, narrow piscina in south wall of chancel with ogee
shaped head, finial and head label stops. Plain chamfered aumbry
in north wall. C19 altar rail, pulpit, lectern, pews and roofs.
Early C15 octagonal font with traceried panels. Monuments
include: one to John Tyrwhitt, died 1845, a white marble scroll
on a black marble field; one to Lewis Dymoke, died 1820, of
white marble on a grey field; one to John Dymoke, died 1784,
white marble with urn, palms and coat of arms; 3 brass plaques
recording burial nearby of Charles Dymoke, his wife and son,
undated; Lewis Dymoke, died 1760 and removal of tomb of Robert
Dymoke, Champion to Henry VIII. A large white marble monument
with yellow-grey streaked marble inlay, to Lewis Dymoke, died
1760, by W. Atkinson with open pediment, good bust, extinguished
1760, by W. Atkinson with open pediment, good bust, extinguished
torches, drapery threaded through rings and a snake biting its
tail. A white marble monument to Lewis Jones, died 1786. 2
recumbent effigies of c.1300, of a knight and his lady, probably
Sir Philip and Lady Marmion; the lady with her hands in prayer,
a wimple and a dog at her feet; the knight in chain mail, a
tunic, but missing his legs and the blade of his sword. A white
and grey marble monument to John Dymoke, died 1828. An ashlar
and white marble monument to Sir Henry Dymoke, died 1865. Tomb
chest of Sir Robert Dymoke, died 1545 with brass effigy of
bearded man. Source: Banks. Volume 3, p.283.


Listing NGR: TF2655265774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.