History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caroline Court and Attached Walls and Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8462 / 51°50'46"N

Longitude: -1.3522 / 1°21'8"W

OS Eastings: 444719

OS Northings: 216594

OS Grid: SP447165

Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.6YQ

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.HVZL

Entry Name: Caroline Court and Attached Walls and Outbuilding

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252546

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435532

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK OXFORD STREET
SP4416, SP4416NE (West side)
8/193, 10/193 Caroline Court (Nos.1-23
18/10/49 consec) and attached wall and
outbuilding
(Formerly listed as
Almshouses)
GV II
Alashouses; converted 1969 into old peoples flats. Built for Caroline Duchess
of Marlborough in 1797. Limestone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof. Plan form
unclear. 2 storeys; 9-bay range with central 3 bays brought forward. To centre
are 3 doorways (windows inserted 1969) set in moulded stone architraves with
fluted frieze to each cornice. Outer wings each have central doorway (windows
inserted 1969) set in keyed moulded architrave. Stone lintels over C20 windows;
plain medallion set over each outer door. Apron in central bay has inscription
as follows: THESE ALMSHOUSES/WERE BUILT AND ENDOWED/BY CAROLINE DUCHESS/OF
MARLBOROUGH/A.D. MDCCXCVII." Interior not inspected. Subsidiary features: to
right is stone-coped limestone rubble wall, approximately 5 metres long and with
wood gate, is attached to late C18 outhouse: of limestone rubble, with hipped
Welsh slate roof and flat stone arches over two C20 doors to left, and two
2-light wood-mullioned windows to front. Rear wing, built 1969, is not of
special architectural interest.


Listing NGR: SP4463216721

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.