This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6639 / 52°39'49"N
Longitude: -1.6167 / 1°37'0"W
OS Eastings: 426018
OS Northings: 307417
OS Grid: SK260074
Mapcode National: GBR 5GG.S3Q
Mapcode Global: WHCGZ.49DN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 22 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435609
Location: Seckington, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B79
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Seckington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: North Warwickshire All Souls
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
BECKINGTON CHURCH LANE CHURCH LANE E
SK2ONE (North side)
2/98 Church of All Saints
Church. Mid/lat C13 chancel, remodelled and remainder rebuilt early mid C14.
Restored and tower largely rebuilt 1883. Regular coursed sandstone. Old
plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets. Nave, chancel, west tower, south
porch. Decorated and Perpendicular styles 2-bay chancel 3-bay nave. Splay
plinths and cornices throughout. Chancel has deep angle buttresses. 5-light east
window has cusped intersecting tracery, but with a quatrefoil replacing the top
intersection. North side has chamfered ogee-arched western doorway with plank
dour, Blocked eastern lancert. Central 3-light C19 window has intersecting
tracery. South side has 2 largely renewed windows with cusped Y-tracery and
chamfered ogee low-side lancet. Porch has doorway of 2 segmental -pointed
chamfered orders with plain jambs. Simple chamfered ogee doorway inside has
duubie-le.3f dorm+ Have has low buttresses to east and west corners. 3-light
eastern windows to north and south with renewed cusped intersecting tracery, and
western windows with cusped Y-tracery. South side has slate slab with incised
decoration and inscription to Benjamin Shelton 1782. North side has buttress
between windows. Blocked ogee doorway Tower of 3 stages has splay and moulded
plinth, and splay string courses. First stage has tall 2-light ogee west window,
with string course forming hood mould. Second stage has lancet slit with deep
splays. Bell chamber ties 2-light openings with a variation of Y-tracery C15
parapet and spire has blind arcading of trefoiled arches. Spire has 2 tiers of
lucarnes. South side has slit lancet to second stage, Interior: chancel has
trefoiled piscina with hood mould. Low recess in north wall. C19 wagon roof.
Chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders. Nave has piscina. C19 crown post
roof. Tower arch of 2 segmental pointed chamfered orders. Fittings: screen made
up of the tracery from the dado panels of a C15 screen. Late C19 octagonal font;
pulpit and coronas. Monuments: defaced early C14 effigy of a lady in north
recess, Mail monument above; Robert Burdett 1603. Kneeling figures face each
other beneath 2 arches, with composite columns, obelisks and strapwork; apron of
part-coloured alabaster. 2 late C18 architectural tablets.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p393; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp199-200)
Listing NGR: SK2601807417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings