This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7831 / 50°46'59"N
Longitude: 0.255 / 0°15'18"E
OS Eastings: 559064
OS Northings: 100597
OS Grid: TQ590005
Mapcode National: GBR MV0.Z5D
Mapcode Global: FRA C7F0.M68
Entry Name: Church of St Elisabeth
Listing Date: 8 February 1994
Last Amended: 17 August 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293633
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN20
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Town
Built-Up Area: Eastbourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne St Elizabeth
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
VICTORIA DRIVE (east side)
Church of St Elisabeth
(Formerly listed as Church of St Elizabeth)
Parish church. Foundation stone laid in 1935, architects D Stonham and Son and A.R.G Fenning. Built of red brick in English bond with Clipsham stone dressings and tiled roof. Floor and roof trusses are in pre-cast suspended reinforced concrete and the pitched roofs have light steel trusses and timber joists. Wide nave with narrow aisles and choir and chancel of equal height. East end has Lady Chapel to east of north transept which has an organ loft over and south transept has library over and attached bellcote. In addition to the west door are NW and SW porches to the narthex, which contains the baptistery and north and south porches at east end of the nave. Tall west front with gabled parapet and almost full-height tapering brick buttresses. West window is a traceried lancet with trefoil heads. Arched west door flanked by side lancets and gabled parapet. Aisles have 3 tall lancets with traceried windows divided by buttresses and narrow aisle with 2 triple casements and gabled porches. North transept has gable to north and mullioned windows. South transept similar but with bellcote. Chancel has 2 traceried windows. East end is blank except for triple mullioned window to former basement classroom. Two storey flat-roofed porches to NE and SE. Interior has arcade with Clipsham stone arches, octagonal Clipsham stone font and 2 Clipsham stone pulpits. Ribbed ceiling and unusual polygonal-shaped lights suspended from brackets. Transepts have arched openings at first floor level. Metal screen to Lady Chapel. Light oak pews to nave and choir. Travertine marble floor to chancel. Wrought iron altar rail. Around the sanctuary is a sequence of fixed painted panels depicting scenes such as the Annunciation and the Baptism of Christ, in a pure Italian quatrocento style. They are signed E.W. Tristram, 1938. (Tristram was the leading authority on English Medieval wall paintings and their conservation.) In a basement room there survives an important painted mural sequence, depicting the Pilgrim's Progress in a free expression style by Hans Feibusch, 1944. These murals are of special historic interest.
[See "Architects' Journal" April 4, 1940.]
Listing NGR: TQ5906400597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings