History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ingleton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1543 / 54°9'15"N

Longitude: -2.4683 / 2°28'5"W

OS Eastings: 369512

OS Northings: 473260

OS Grid: SD695732

Mapcode National: GBR CN6D.DK

Mapcode Global: WH94Y.1VW4

Plus Code: 9C6V5G3J+PM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435785

Location: Ingleton, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA6

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Ingleton

Built-Up Area: Ingleton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ingleton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leck

Description

INGLETON MAIN STREET
SD 6873-6973
(west side)
14/12 Church of St Mary
the Virgin
20.2.58
GV II*
Parish church. 1886-87 by C E Tate, except C15 west tower. Snecked and dressed
stone, slate roof, rubble to tower. South entrance porch, 3 stage west tower,
5 bay nave and aisles, bay chancel, north vestry. Steeply pitched roof to
porch, moulded segmental pointed arch, diagonal buttresses. Pointed entrance
arch, plank doors and strap hinges. Tower, west pointed entrance with deeply
chamfered surround, hoodmould, plank door. Tall 3-light window with c1887 mullions
hoodmould. 2-light louvred window with trefoil heads to bell stage. Diagonal
buttresses, string course to base of embattled parapet with 4 finials. Tall
south entrance has corbelled and deeply chamfered pointed arch, plank doors.
Four 3-light Perpendicular style windows to south aisle. 5 pairs of lancet
windows with cusped heads to clerestory; continuous hoodmould. Corbel table.
2-lights and single-light south windows to chancel with cusped heads; foliate
stops to hoodmould. Blind arcading to corbel table. 3-light east window with
reticulated tracery, head stops to hoodmould. Cruciform finial to east gable
end of nave, and east end of lower gable to chancel. Interior: 4 segmental
pointed arches to north and south arcades. Repositioned Romanesque font in
south aisle includes various biblical scenes represented by 13 figures and tree
of life; intersecting arches; c1970 base. Vestry contains tablet by Boundy
of Kendal commemorating 1886-87 rebuilding. Fragments of wall painting on west
wall of nave, now unidentifiable.


Listing NGR: SD6951273260

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.