This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7676 / 50°46'3"N
Longitude: -3.5072 / 3°30'25"W
OS Eastings: 293808
OS Northings: 97526
OS Grid: SX938975
Mapcode National: GBR P1.S09Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 37J1.ZDK
Entry Name: Stoke Canon Bridge and Causeway
Listing Date: 7 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253020
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86136
Location: Stoke Canon, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Stoke Canon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Canon St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
The following building shall be added to the list:
SX 99 NW
3/38 Stoke Canon bridge
Road bridge over River Exe and causeway. Probably C15 rebuilding of earlier
medieval bridge; widened and partly rebuilt in early C19. Ashlar and dressed
Tharveton stone. The 3-span bridge over mainstream of river has 3 chamfered
segmental arches and piers with cutwaters on both up and downstream sides, and
a double-chamfered 2-centred flood arch to north. The east side of the flood
arch and both sides of the main stream arches have been widened in circa early
C19 with unchamfered segmental arches with stringcourses above at road level
but incorporating the medieval bridge. A long causeway to south with 2 circa
early C19 flood arches and a mill race arch at its south end, all with
segmental arches without stringcourses above. Low parapets with saddle-back
coping, replaced in concrete in places. In 1326 Bishop Stapledon gave £4 for
the upkeep of the bridge. In C17, on his way to Truro from Exeter, Ogilby
mentioned a bridge with nine arches and a further arch at the north end he
called "Swine Bridge". In 1809 James Green, the County Surveyor, stated that
there were 3 main arches, one flood water arch to north east and 3 to south
west and an arch over the mill water; the carriageway he noted was 10 1/2 feet
wide and "the whole bridge requires considerable repair". Therefore it is
probable that it was repaired and widened soon after 1809.
Source: C Henderson and E Jervoise, Old Devon Bridges, p.56.
Listing NGR: SX9380897526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings