History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Canning Town South, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5119 / 51°30'43"N

Longitude: 0.0136 / 0°0'49"E

OS Eastings: 539828

OS Northings: 181146

OS Grid: TQ398811

Mapcode National: GBR LT.G3M

Mapcode Global: VHHNJ.6818

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 15 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436204

Location: Newham, London, E16

County: London

District: Newham

Electoral Ward/Division: Canning Town South

Built-Up Area: Newham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Victoria Docks St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
West Ham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

TQ 38 SE CANNING TOWN JUDE STREET
(north-west side)
251-/3/10002 CHURCH OF ST LUKE

II

Church. 1873-5 by Giles and Gane for Henry Boyd, vicar of neighbouring St Marks from
which the new parish was detached. Yellow stock brick with red rubbed window arches and
bands, stone dressings, slate roof. The church is orientated northwards, the direction of the
liturgical eastern apse. Two-bay transepts either side of chancel, five-bay nave (two steps lower)
with arcades and narrow lean-to aisles. Double door in stone porch under 2-light window with
decorated plate tracery at west end. Paired lancets to nave linked by bands; 2-light plate tracery
to transepts; in the apse an arcade of lancets under stone hoods with banding and floreated
roundels, alternately pierced. Between the transepts on line of chancel is a single stone buttress,
above which rises an octagonal timber fleche.
The interior has two five-bay arcades with roll mouldings and hoods, stylised floral capitals.
Elaborate timber roof with turned tie-beams, king posts, collars and bracing. Chancel denoted
by paired truss on stone columns on pointed stops reminiscent of the style of William
Butterfield. Open ironwork screen to south transept; the north divided from the first to
include vestries and organ chamber. The pulpit, lectern, litany desk and communion rails of
wrought iron date from the 1890s. The chancel apse is entirely panelled with stone arcading in
three tiers, filled c.1893 with mosaics, the tall middle range depicting the twelve apostles with
at their centre a reredos showing the Ascension. The three east lancets depict St Luke, Christ
and St Cedd, c.1950.
Source. Council for the Care of Churches, report December 1980.

---------------------------------------
In the entry for:

TQ 38 SE CANNING TOWN JUDE STREET
(north-west side)
251-/3/10002 St Luke's Church

II

the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Church. 1873-5 by Giles and Gane for Henry Boyd, vicar of neighbouring St Mark's from which
the new parish was detached. Yellow stock brick with red rubbed window arches and bands, stone
dressings, slate roof. The church is oriented northwards, the direction of the liturgical eastern apse.
Two-bay transepts either side of chancel, five-bay nave (two steps lower) with arcades and narrow
lean-to aisles. Double door in stone porch under 2-light window with decorated plate tracery at
west end. Paired lancets to nave linked by bands; 2-light plate tracery to transepts; in the apse an
arcade of lancets under stone hoods with banding and floreated roundels, alternately pierced.
Between the transepts on line of chancel is a single stone buttress, above which rises an octagonal
timber fleche.
The interior has two five-bay arcades with roll mouldings and hoods, stylised floral capitals.
Elaborate timber roof with turned tie-beams, king posts, collars and bracing. Chancel denoted by
paired truss on stone columns on pointed stops reminiscent of the style of William Butterfield.
Many original fittings removed, but there survives open ironwork screen to south transept; the
north aisle divided from the first to include vestries and organ chamber. Communion rails of
wrought iron date from the 1890s. The chancel apse is entirely panelled with stone arcading in
three tiers, filled c.1893 with mosaics, the tall middle range depicting the twelve apostles with at
their centre a reredos showing the Ascension. The three east lancets depict St Luke, Christ and St
Cedd, c.1950.


Listing NGR: TQ3982881146

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.