This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5284 / 51°31'42"N
Longitude: -0.0815 / 0°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 533180
OS Northings: 182796
OS Grid: TQ331827
Mapcode National: GBR T6.V9
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.JVS6
Plus Code: 9C3XGWH9+9C
Entry Name: Church of St Monica
Listing Date: 13 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253428
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436634
Location: Hackney, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoxton East & Shoreditch
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Leonard with S Michael, Shoreditch
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shall be added:
735-/35/10012 CHURCH OF ST MONICA
Mission church. 1865-6 by Edward Welby Pugin for the Augustinian Fathers, extended 1880. Stock brick with some stone dressings, slate roof supported on timber arcade. Eight-bay nave with aisles and western gallery, has timber arcade with bracing and chamfers, supporting trusses with cross braces; exposed rafters over rose-window clerestorey, leads to two-bay chancel with paired arcade and lancets. The west front a tight composition with Perpendicular west window over
central door - a taut composition between two massive buttresses and oversailed by narrow bellcote. East window with stained glass of 1924 by M E Aldrich Rope. Altar and reredos attributed to Edward Welby Pugin. Single-bay Lady chapel 1880 by John Young. Underneath the gallery a door gives access to the priory (q.v).
Included as part of a rare surviving composition of church, school and priory by an important architect who here produced a cheap building that nevertheless has considerable distinction.
Listing NGR: TQ3318082796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings