History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Montacute, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9498 / 50°56'59"N

Longitude: -2.7178 / 2°43'4"W

OS Eastings: 349673

OS Northings: 116952

OS Grid: ST496169

Mapcode National: GBR MK.NH83

Mapcode Global: FRA 566L.M0C

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253547

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436778

Location: Montacute, South Somerset, Somerset, TA15

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Montacute

Built-Up Area: Montacute

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Montacute

Listing Text

ST4916 MONTACUTE CP MIDDLE STREET (South side)
8/145 Church of St. Catherine
19.4.61
GV II*
Anglican Parish Church. C12 origins, altered C13 and C15, restored 1870-71 by Henry Hall. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate
roofs between stepped coped gables, some behind low parapets. Cruciform plan: 2-bay chancel, 5-bay nave; west tower,
north porch linked by lobby to north transept, south-east vestry. Chancel largely rebuilt 1870 in C14 style: wide
angled corner buttresses, plinth, eaves course; east window early Geometric style 3- light under label with curl stops;
similar windows in side walls, and on south side the 1864 vestry to match, with 2-light south window in gable and plain
east door. South transept probably C15, with rebuilt gable: half-height corner buttresses, eaves course; 3-light
Geometric tracery south window, under which is a moulded pointed-arched doorway with square label continued as a string
course: to west a single lancet without label, to east a 4-light flat-headed window without label, ogee-traceried and
cusped heads, central king mullion. North transept similar, but with two lancets in east wall. Nave at least partially
rebuilt on south, north may be earlier: plinth, bay buttresses, eaves string with gargoyles, shallow plain parapet with
moulded coping: C15 style traceried 3-light windows set in hollowed arched recesses with square-stop labels, 4 on south
and 2 on north. North porch may be C12: large angled corner buttresses, eaves string, stepped coped gable with cross
finial; doorway a 2-chamfered only just pointed arch with simple string and formerly carved stops; above a C14 canopied
statue niche under a relieving arch and a small C14 2-light window; inside a quadripartite vault with ridge ribs and
Tudor rose boss; inner doorway simpler, with pointed arch. Tower in 3 stages, probably C15: offset corner buttresses 2
stages high with diagonal-set shafts over, no pinnacles remaining; full-height hexagonal stair turret to north-west
corner; thick string courses of quatrefoil panel bands each level, partly missing on south side, crenellated parapet:
west doorway deeply moulded with flanking shafts set diagonally; traceried panels under cill of 4-light sub-arcuated
traceried and transomed west window in hollowed recess, breaking into stage 2; small rectangular window and clockface
to north stage 2; to stage three 2-light windows in recesses without labels to all faces. Interior largely C19
restoration: ashlar wall facings, C19 roofs with angel corbels to trusses: chancel arch C12, 3 plain orders with side
shafts having scalloped capitals, squint to south side: C13 transept arches with triple-shaft jambs,original mouldings
to capitals on east sides, the south- east having dog-tooth ornament: transept windows have rere-arches with labels to
gable windows: tower arch C15, tall, double panelled. In chancel some recut C16 lettered panels; in nave the ornamented
arch to a Norman doorway with X and lozenge decoration, fire-reddened, and one corbel to organ loft in north parvise is
C12: font in lobby between porch and transept possibly C15, octagonal with panelled bowl, underbowl and shaft; this
lobby has panelled link arches, probably C15. Monuments Include several in north transept, the Phelips family chapel
(owners of Montacute House, q.v), with effigies of David and Ann, died 1484, and Bridget, died 1508, probably on later
bases, canopied effigies of Thomas, died 1588, and Elizabeth, died 1598; on west wall garble monument to Edward, did
1690, having coupled Ionic pilasters and pediment: also in chancel small stone plaque to John House, yeoman, died 1660.
chapel of St. Catherine attached to the nearby Priory of St Peter and St Paul (Abbey Farmhouse, q.v, established by
1102) first mentioned c1180: one of the two burned down c1207 (VCH Vol 111, 1974; Pevsner, N, Buildings of England,
South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4967416950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.