This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3339 / 54°20'1"N
Longitude: -0.4499 / 0°26'59"W
OS Eastings: 500888
OS Northings: 494251
OS Grid: TA008942
Mapcode National: GBR TL9B.D6
Mapcode Global: WHGBT.2B0F
Plus Code: 9C6X8HM2+G2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253629
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326936
Location: Cloughton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cloughton
Built-Up Area: Cloughton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cloughton and Burniston
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 09 SW CLOUGHTON HIGH STREET
13.12.51 Church of St Mary
Church. 1831, by J Thompson and G Taylor. Restored and extended in 1889-90 by
Smith, Brodrick and Lowther. Tooled sandstone on chamfered plinth, with sandstone
ashlar dressings; slate roof. West bellcote; 5-bay nave and continuous chancel;
north chapel and organ chamber; south vestry. Pointed 2-light west window with
Perpendicular-style tracery. Gabled bellcote has three square-headed openings
beneath Tudor-arched corbelled hoodmoulds. Nave north wall contains Tudor-arched
doorway, with 3-light, Perpendicular-style window to east. Further east extension
projects and has two cusped lancets in square-headed surrounds. South side exten-
sion repeats that in north side, and partly obscures a blocked pointed opening.
West return contains Tudor-arched doorway. Nave south wall has 3-light, Perpendi-
cular-style window. East window is of 5-lights with Perpendicular-style tracery.
East ends of flanking extensions contain single cusped lancets in square-headed
surrounds. All openings are double chamfered, those to nave cavetto and ovolo
moulded. Gables are coped. Catslide roofs to extensions. Gable crosses to bell-
cote and to east end. Interior: chapel and organ chamber screened off by arcade
of two double-chamfered two-centred arches on one octagonal pier and corbelled
responds. Chancel south wall contains marble monument to William Bower and his
wife Priscilla, dated 1704. Tablet between palm volutes and surmounted by swan-
necked pediment broken by an urn, is inscribed:
"They live well, who love well
They die well, who live well"
War memorial tablet by Eric Gill.
Listing NGR: TA0088894251
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings