History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 81 and Former Meeting Room at Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1542 / 52°9'15"N

Longitude: 1.051 / 1°3'3"E

OS Eastings: 608813

OS Northings: 255046

OS Grid: TM088550

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VZG

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.53HX

Entry Name: Number 81 and Former Meeting Room at Rear

Listing Date: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436918

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST)
TM 0855

3/86 No.81 and former meeting
- room at rear

- II

House; the solar block of a high-quality house of early C15, the major part of
which is contained within Nos.83 and 85 High Street. Alterations of c.1600
and C19. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with rear C16 chimney
of red brick. 2 windows, 2 storeys. C19 small-pane sashes and recessed 4-
panelled entrance door. The range is of unusual form, with a single ground
storey room beneath a narrow solar with ante-room to left. The plain
crownpost roof to the latter survives, in line with the hall roof. The roof
above the solar, apparently once of narrow cross-wing form, has been rebuilt.
A cambered tie-beam in the 2-bay solar has thick arch-braces whose pilasters
have been cut away. At ground storey is a massive chamfered and knee-braced
bridging joist. A rear C17 2-storey wing has an ovolo-moulded 1st floor beam.
A single-storey wing further to rear contains a vacant meeting room formerly
used by the Plymouth Brethren. It is of C16/C17 origin, timber-framed and
plastered, with early C19 small-pane sashes. Early C19 battened and boarded
entrance door; the head of the doorway is ogee-arched in the late C14 manner.


Listing NGR: TM0881355046

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.