History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

10 and 12, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1522 / 52°9'8"N

Longitude: 1.0536 / 1°3'13"E

OS Eastings: 608999

OS Northings: 254836

OS Grid: TM089548

Mapcode National: GBR TLL.35P

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.65WF

Entry Name: 10 and 12, High Street

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253668

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436936

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 0854 and 0954

3/104 Nos. 10 and 12 (formerly
listed as The Waggon and
9.12.55 Horses and No.10)

- II

Two houses. Built as one in late C16; formerly and perhaps originally the
Waggon and Horses Inn, until mid C20. Alterations of c.1700 and c.1800. 2
storeys and attics. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with C19
flat-roofed casement dormers. Small-pane sashes of late C18 or early C19 at
1st storey. No.12 has large C19 windows with pilasters and a continuous
moulded cornice above. No.10 has a C19 tripartite sash window. No.12 has the
main entrance door, with 6 panels (the upper panels glazed), recessed within
panelled reveals; architrave and moulded cornice with pulvinated frieze of
late C18 type. No.10 has a similar entrance doorway with simpler architrave,
lacking a cornice. No.12 has late C16 roll-moulded 1st floor beams with
channelled soffits. A narrow rear wing has a good staircase of c.1700: Turned
balusters of which the upper half are barley-sugar twisted, moulded handrail
and newel finials of C17 form. (Cp. No.93 High Street) The whole roof was
rebuilt with butt-purlins c.1700. A wrought iron bracket, formerly suspending
the Inn Sign, is cantilevered from beneath the eaves.

Listing NGR: TM0899954836

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.