This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0194 / 51°1'9"N
Longitude: -4.0539 / 4°3'13"W
OS Eastings: 256038
OS Northings: 126456
OS Grid: SS560264
Mapcode National: GBR KR.J0TM
Mapcode Global: FRA 26DF.2JD
Entry Name: Harracott Chapel
Listing Date: 18 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437013
Location: Tawstock, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Tawstock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tawstock St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 52 NE
4/73 Harracott Chapel
Chapel, now converted to private dwelling. 1842. Roughly dressed stone rubble with
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends. Ashlar bell turret with bell
at apex of west gable end.
Uniform plan with short chancel, nave, low south and north transepts and west porch.
Diagonal buttresses. All windows are pointed arched with rusticated ashlar
surrounds, cusped headed lights and hoodmoulds. 3-light windows to east and west
ends with stained glass intact. Infilled single light windows to chancel and 2-
light windows flanking transepts on each side of nave with stained glass to the
traceried heads. Pointed arched doorway to west porch with studded door with
decorative strap hinges. Plaque above with verse from Psalm 127: "Except The Lord
Build the House/Their Labour is But Lost that Built it". Built at the expense of
Rev. Bourchier Wrey, as was the parsonage, now Harracott House (q.v).
Listing NGR: SS5603826456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings