This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0498 / 51°2'59"N
Longitude: -4.059 / 4°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 255776
OS Northings: 129843
OS Grid: SS557298
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.G5K9
Mapcode Global: FRA 26DB.SL6
Entry Name: Gatehouse to Tawstock Court
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437076
Location: Tawstock, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Tawstock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tawstock St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 52 NE
- Gatehouse to Tawstock Court
Gatehouse. Dated 1574. Freestone ashlar with some early brickwork to the turret
vaulting. Continues cavetto moulded plinth. Gabled slate roof.
Rectangular on plan with principal entrance on south side flanked by tall octagonal
2 storeys, the intermediate floor now removed. Corner turrets of 3 stages.
Embattled parapet except to turrets which are moulded.
Large 4 centred outer arched entrance to centre south side with ogee-flanking-hollow
moulded surround. Gates of 2 heavy studded leaves with cover strips and chamfered
rectangular boss decoration to the panels. The left gate has carved grotesque male
head to the top rail, female head to right. Over the arch are 2 straight-headed
stone windows of two 4 centred arched lights with hoodmoulds formed from the string
with dropped ends flanking elaborate pedimented stone cartouche bearing heraldic
achievement with eared Ionic-style fluted pilasters and 1574 datestone above.
Flanking corner turrets of 3 stages have single light stone windows to splayed
facets of the first stage with carved spandrels and hoodmoulds. Blind single light
window over rectangular window to top and second stage of left side of left hand
tower which has defensive loop to the bottom stage of its inner face. Rectangular
window opening to right side of first stage of right hand turret. Tall blocked
window opening to rear right side of gatehouse upper storey. Blocked ground floor
doorway to left side. Plain moulded 4-centred inner arch with relieving arch and
stone mullion window above of three 4 centred arched lights with foliated spandrels.
Within the outer arch is a timber doorway to each turret stairway, that to right
with segmental head, that to left with depressed head and placed obliquely across
the angle. Stairs removed or collapsed. Roof structure replaced in C20.
Listing NGR: SS5577629843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings