This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0451 / 52°2'42"N
Longitude: -1.6199 / 1°37'11"W
OS Eastings: 426166
OS Northings: 238588
OS Grid: SP261385
Mapcode National: GBR 5PZ.R8M
Mapcode Global: VHBYM.WV0M
Entry Name: Tidmington House
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437109
Location: Tidmington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Tidmington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Shipston-on-Stour St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
7/179 Tidmington House
Manor house. c.1600 with late C17 and mid C18 alterations and additions.
Limestone ashlar and squared, coursed limestone rubble and some rendered brick,
and brick in Flemish bond. Plinth and moulded coped gables with some finials.
Stone slate and slate roofs with ashlar ridge and lateral stacks with moulded
bases and groups of tall flues linked by moulded cornices. 2 storeys plus attic;
8-window range of central 3-window bay with flanking projecting gabled bays.
U-shaped plan. House refronted c.1765. To centre a part-glazed door with
semi-circular overlight in moulded surround with keyblock. Tuscan columns on
bases support a moulded entablature. Projecting forward, and engaged with gabled
bays, a large porch with Tuscan columns and pilasters with moulded entablature.
To either side of door, within porch, a 12-pane sash with moulded architraves.
To first floor of central bay a Venetian window flanked on either side by a
12-pane sash. Tripartite lunette in central gablet, with plain storey band
below. To ground and first floor of each projecting bay two 12-pane sashes with
further 12-pane sash in gable. All windows have moulded architraves. Further
smaller gabled bay to right has large 12-pane sash to ground floor with moulded
and eaved architraves, and 12-pane sash to first floor. Tuscan pilasters support
an entablature and a part-broken balustrade with ball finials. To right a
one-storey, one-bay pavilion in brick faced in ashlar with Tuscan pilaster end
entablature supporting a balustrade with ball finial. Behind facade a wood
balustrade verandah. To rear, 3 gabled bays of c.1600 with some 12-pane sashes
and a Venetian window, but also original, ovolo-moulded 3-light mullioned
windows with hood moulds and label stops in gables. Also to rear left a C19
rendered brick bow range of 2 storeys, with sash windows in plain architraves.
To right an early C18 2-storey brick range, altered later C18 or C19, with
glazed and panelled door to ground floor. Interior: in central hall a C18 stone
fireplace with moulded entablature. C18 carved turned baluster dog-leg staircase
rising to first floor. 6-panelled doors with eared architraves. Also a dentilled
cornice and doors with Chinese-style motifs on broken pediments. Adam-style
fireplace, kitchen with stone flagged floors and large open fireplace with
refaced bressumer. Chamfered spine beam. In dining room C18 round-headed niches
with keyblocks and further C18 fireplace and dentilled architrave over door.
Listing NGR: SP2616638588
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings