This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4437 / 51°26'37"N
Longitude: -0.3509 / 0°21'3"W
OS Eastings: 514703
OS Northings: 172926
OS Grid: TQ147729
Mapcode National: GBR 6C.S7S
Mapcode Global: VHFTL.VZV3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437429
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW2
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: West Twickenham
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Twickenham
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 CAMPBELL ROAD
TQ 147217/13 Church of All Saints
Anglican Church. Built 1913-14 to the designs of J.S.Alder. Red brick with Weldon stone dressing and red tiled roof Late Decorated style. Plan: nave of five bays with north and south aisles and clerestory; small western apse for the baptistry; the eastern bay of the south aisle is cross-gabled like a small transept; chancel with north chapel and south organ chamber of two storeys under a cross-gable and vestries. Western elevation: large traceried window above baptistry flanked by buttresses. Western bay of south aisle was intended to be the base of the tower which was never built. Single wide windows divided by buttresses to north and south aisles; single lights grouped in triplets divided by buttresses at clerestory level. INTERIOR: The pillars, shafts, arches and all other internal stonework in grey limestone. Wide moulded arches carried on pillars to nave arcades, quatrefoil in plan with fillets, moulded capitals and bases. The aisles and west wall of the nave have a high dado of exposed red brick above which the walls are plastered. Timber barrel vault to nave with moulded principals; chancel roof similar but with mouldings on the braces and purlins. Chancel arch spanned by rood beam with uncoloured figures, given in 1914, probably to the designs of the architect. The floor of the chancel is raised above the level of the nave behind a low stone wall and paved with square paviours of black and white marble. Furnishings and fittings: High altar of oak incorporating a carved oak panel depicting The Crucifixion and probably 17th century continental work. Pulpit c.1910 from the bombed church of St Gabriel, Poplar. Stone font c.1920. Stained glass: The large west window has five lights gropped 2-1-2 and cusped flowing tracery. Set into its three central lights is a large round-headed stained glass panel depicting The Good Shepherd by William Morris, 1890, from a design by Burne Jones. This window originally came from the Haweis Chapel of St James's, Westmoreland Street, Marylebone was reset here in 1914 (see 'The Stained Glass of Wiliam Morris and his Circle- A Catalogue', A.C.Sewter, Yale University Press, 1975). Elsewhere in the church, original opaque glass with sacred symbols within shield-shaped frames or patterns of stylised knots designed by Alder. HISTORY, All Saints, Twickenham was the last major church that Alder built. The foundation stone was laid by Princess Henry of Battenburg on 24 May 1913; the church was consecrated on 9 May 1914.
Listing NGR: TQ1470372926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings