This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1862 / 51°11'10"N
Longitude: 0.3166 / 0°18'59"E
OS Eastings: 561994
OS Northings: 145548
OS Grid: TQ619455
Mapcode National: GBR NQL.GWB
Mapcode Global: VHHQ7.FGQ0
Entry Name: Old School Cottages
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437515
Location: Capel, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN11
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Capel
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tudeley cum Capel with Five Oak Green
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 64 NW CAPEL TUDELEY LANE
1/308 Nos 1, 2 and 3 Old School
Row of 3 estate cottages, formerly a farmhouse. Late C17 (there is a date of
1696 inscribed inside), probably divided in the C19, some C20 modernisation.
Timber-framed, the ground floor is underbuilt with various builds of red brick
(for instance, the front of No 1 includes noticeably more burnt headers than
the rest), above the framing is hung with peg-tile; the south west end stack
is coursed blocks of sandstone, the others are red brick, brick chimneyshafts;
Plan: L-plan building. The main block faces south south west, say south, and
is set back from the road. It has a 3-room plan, each belonging to a separate
cottage numbering 1-3 from left to right (west to east). No 1 is a one-room
plan cottage with a projecting gable-end stack (added in the C19) and end
entry. The centre room (No 2) has a rear lateral stack and the left end part
of the room has been divided off as an entrance hall and staircase. Kitchen
in a C19 rear block. The right end room (No 3) has a large projecting gable-
end stack and has lower rear service block projecting to rear.
The main block was built as a late C17 farmhouse. It has a 3-room plan. The
left end room was originally an unheated service room (possibly with a
passage). The centre room was the kitchen and the right end room was the
parlour. The rear service block may be original.
Exterior: Regular but symmetrical 4-window front of C19 and C20 casements
with glazing bars. All doorways contain C20 plank doors. The roof is gable-
ended. The right (east) end stack is large and impressive; built of coursed
blocks of sandstone with tiled weathered offsets.
Interior: Most rooms, both ground and first floor have chamfered and scroll-
stopped axial beams. They are boxed in in No 3. The centre room fireplace
(No 2) is large, built of brick with a chamfered oak lintel and includes a
bread oven and cupboard alcove. A small fireplace to the chamber above is
blocked although its oak lintel is exposed. The end fireplace (in No 3) is
blocked although its oak lintel is exposed; it is chamfered with a low Tudor
arch. The framed walls are plastered over except for a section of a stud in
the centre room (between Nos 2 and 3). It is inscribed with the date 1696 and
the initals I and MG and D and FG along with some scrolled decoration. Main
block roof of tie-beam trusses with A-frames and butt purlins.
Listing NGR: TQ6199445550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings