This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1554 / 52°9'19"N
Longitude: 1.0506 / 1°3'2"E
OS Eastings: 608775
OS Northings: 255177
OS Grid: TM087551
Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VV5
Mapcode Global: VHLBC.5370
Plus Code: 9F435342+56
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436954
Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Needham Market
Built-Up Area: Needham Market
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HIGH STREET(EAST) Church of St. John the Baptist
Parish church,mainly rebuilt over the period C.1470-C.1500,but retaining some earlier fragments.Until 1901 a chapel of ease,the church is parallel to the High Street and aligned north-west/south-east.Nave,chancel,and south porch with bell-turret;there is no structural division between nave and chancel.Flint rubble with much flushed flint and limestone rubble;freestone dressings.Plaintiled roof;the upper nave roof is flat and leaded. At each bay is a large three-light C15 window.Between each and at each corner is a flushwork-panelled buttress,those on the south side with a canopied niche whose image stool is supported by an angel.At the upper stage,is part of an inscription which reads in total:"Christ his have merci on us".A similar inscription is on a tablet high over the priests doorway.The latter has some reused moulded C13 stonework,but is mainly of late C15;the door bears carved arms including those of William Grey,Bishop of Ely 1458-1478.A mid-C14 window at the north-east corner suggests the survival of C13/C14 fabric at the east end. The fine hammerbeam roof over the nave is technically one of the most outstanding of its type in Suffolk.An illustrated report in Proc.Suff.Inst.Arch.,Vol.XVII,Pt.2,1920,shows that the lower half of the roof had been almost destroyed by a C18 coved ceiling.This was removed and the roof restored with new hammerbeams in 1880.The roof is in six bays,with long arch-braced hammerbeams emerging from a very deep C19 coved cornice.At the ends of the beams are tall posts with pendant bosses,linked at mid-height by cambered and arch-braced straining beams,and again at the head by arch-braced camber-beams supporting the flat roof.At one third height the posts are linked with the adjacent truss by slender C19 ties;and again at two-thirds height by heavier beams upon which stand the timber-framed clerestory.In each bay is a trefoil-headed clerestory window.The main beams are embattled and brattished,and the braces have richly-carved spandrels of foliate and floreate form.The use of hammerbeam construction in this way to give a clear span of thirty feet and to support a clerestory is considered by many authorities to be the culmination of C15 carpentry design in Suffolk.The chancel roof was rebuilt with arch-braced collar-beam trusses in 1880.The south doorway has moulded and shafted jambs and a square label over the arched head;a fine pair of moulded framed doors with vinescroll-carved panels.At the north doorway a similar pair of doors existed until c.1900.In the north wall is the roodloft staircase of c.1500;of the rood screen nothing remains.In 1883,the south porch was built on the site of an early C16 porch of red brick which bore the initials T.R. probably for Thomas Raven,clothier.Internal fittings are of late C19/C20
Listing NGR: TM0877555177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings