History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harrods Depository Riverside Warehouse to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnes, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4846 / 51°29'4"N

Longitude: -0.2283 / 0°13'41"W

OS Eastings: 523113

OS Northings: 177669

OS Grid: TQ231776

Mapcode National: GBR BH.14C

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.0Y49

Entry Name: Harrods Depository Riverside Warehouse to East

Listing Date: 10 May 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254280

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437721

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, SW13

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnes

Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Barnes

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Barnes

Listing Text

The following should be added:

TQ 27 NW ARUNDEL TERRACE

2/4 Harrods Depository
Riverside Warehouse to
east

- II

Depository. 1911 - c.1914 by W G Hunt for Harrods Stores. Kahn system reinforced
concrete with terracotta east facade (facing river) and flat roof. Wedge-shaped
plan. Elaborate Baroque-style facade has keyed architraves to tripartite windows,
flight of 15 steps flanked by bronze uplighters to round-arched projecting porch
and pedimented end bays surmounted by cupolas. Eight-bay projection to south with
additional projecting end bay, part of original composition, completed in slightly
simpler form c.1914; similar wing to north never built. Rear elevation has access
galleries on reinforced concrete cantilvers to either side of projecting lift
shaft. Interior: fine Baroque-style entrance hall clad in Carrara marble, with
swags to pilasters and coffered ceiling supported on brackets; offices to right
with mahogany doors and half-glazed partitions. Symmetrical composition of
warehouse spaces have octagonal columns and closely-spaced beams, arched at column
tops. Recommended as a remarkably pure and unaltered early example of the Kahn
system of reinforced concrete, invented by Julius Kahn in 1903 and widely used in
the car factories of Detroit by his brother Albert. The use of cantilevers make
this a particularly important example, whilst the terracotta facade is impressive
in its own right.
(The builder, 13 June 1913, pp 683-5)


Listing NGR: TQ2311377669

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.