This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9501 / 52°57'0"N
Longitude: -1.1572 / 1°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 456724
OS Northings: 339518
OS Grid: SK567395
Mapcode National: GBR LMQ.KM
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.636R
Plus Code: 9C4WXR2V+24
Entry Name: Castle Bank and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254545
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457431
Location: Nottingham, NG7
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5639NE LENTON ROAD
646-1/19/315 (South East side)
12/07/72 Nos.5 AND 5A
Castle Bank and attached boundary
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.5 AND 5A)
House, now 2 houses, and attached boundary wall. Dated 1873.
By Watson Fothergill of Nottingham for the Misses Woods.
Altered later C19. Red brick, with ashlar and blue brick
dressings. Green and grey banded slate roofs with coped
gables. 2 large coped stacks, one altered. Gothic Revival
Plinth, first floor sill band, ashlar bands, traceried eaves
band. 3 storeys; 3 window range.
To left, a massive canted bay window, 3 storeys, 4 sashes,
with a pyramidal roof and finial. Blank ground floor, with 2
sashes to the left return. Above, a paired sash with central
shaft, flanked by single sashes. Above again, 3 smaller single
sashes. To right, 2 small sashes, and above, to left, a
pointed arched cross casement with quatrefoil head. Above
again, a small mullioned window set in the eaves band.
Left return is fronted by a brick boundary wall with plain
balustrade and moulded brick coping. Central opening to a
panelled timber-framed porch set at an angle, with half-glazed
segment-arched door. Above it, a pair of sashes with brick
mullion, and above again, a gabled through-eaves dormer with a
traceried round window.
Right return has on the first floor an angled corner window, 3
lights, with shafts, under an ogee corbel with datestone.
This building was Fothergill's first house in the Park.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 246; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson
Fothergill, Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 4).
Listing NGR: SK5672439518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings