This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.345 / 53°20'41"N
Longitude: -1.5223 / 1°31'20"W
OS Eastings: 431899
OS Northings: 383224
OS Grid: SK318832
Mapcode National: GBR 94Z.2Q
Mapcode Global: WHCCQ.L690
Plus Code: 9C5W8FVH+X3
Entry Name: Parkhead Hall and Adjoining Former Stable Yard and Coach House
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457538
Location: Sheffield, S11
Electoral Ward/Division: Dore and Totley
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ecclesall Bierlow
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38SW ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH
784-1/9/300 (South East side)
Parkhead Hall and adjoining former
stable yard and coach house
Small country house and adjoining stable yard and coach house,
now offices. 1864-65. By JB Mitchel Withers, for himself.
Enlarged 1900 by RG Hammond and 1903 by Wyngard, Dixon &
Sandford for Sir Robert Hadfield, steel manufacturer. Coursed
squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped plain tile
roofs, with 3 ridge and 3 side wall coped stone stacks. Gothic
EXTERIOR: plinth, first floor windows. Windows are mainly
casements with stone mullions. East front has projecting
central 2 storey porch, with hipped roof and decorative
finials. On the first floor, a 2-light pointed arch window
with plate tracery, flanked by smaller single lancets with
plainer tracery. Triple arched entrance with moulded arches,
shafts, and linked hoodmoulds. Larger central opening has
glazed double door with fanlight, flanking arches have single
windows. Outside, stone steps. To left, a small single lancet,
and to its left, a buttressed external stack, flanked by
allegorical reliefs in square panels. To left again, a canted
corner with a single lancet above and a cross casement below.
To right, a pointed arched recess with double lancet flanked
by relief panels, and below, a 3-light cross casement.
Garden front, to south, has 2 bay addition to left in similar
style. At each end, a canted 2 storey bay window topped with a
finial. Right bay has a segmental pointed 3-light window
flanked by single lancets, with linked hoodmould. Below, a
3-light cross casement, flanked by 2-light cross casements.
Left bay has a flat-headed 3-light window with label mould,
flanked by single light windows. Below, a 3-light cross
casement flanked by a 2-light cross casement to left and a
similar window altered to a French window to right.
At the rear, a small stable yard, enclosed by a coped wall
with a central segmental pointed carriage gateway with
shouldered coped gable. To right, a single coach house with
truncated pyramidal roof.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Building vacant at time of survey.
(Researches of G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3189983224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings