This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3902 / 53°23'24"N
Longitude: -1.4387 / 1°26'19"W
OS Eastings: 437428
OS Northings: 388301
OS Grid: SK374883
Mapcode National: GBR 9QG.4H
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.W13T
Plus Code: 9C5W9HR6+3G
Entry Name: Baltic Works
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457544
Location: Sheffield, S9
Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Attercliffe and Darnall
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE EFFINGHAM ROAD
784-1/6/306 (South East side)
Crucible steel works, now workshops. 1854, with later C19 and
early C20 additions, and late C20 alterations. Brick with
ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roofs, with single
brick ridge and gable stacks.
EXTERIOR: plinth and string course. 2 storeys; 47 window
Off-centre entrance bay has the first floor divided by plain
pilasters, and 3 wooden framed Venetian windows. Below, a
segment-arched cart entrance with rusticated piers, voussoirs
and keystone, with a pair of board doors, flanked to left by a
segment-headed plain sash and to right by a door with moulded
segment-headed surround and overlight. Rusticated flanking
pilasters to ground floor.
The entrance bay is flanked to right by 8 round-arched glazing
bar windows with impost band, and to left by 2 similar
windows. Below, 3 segment-headed plain sashes to right and 2
Beyond, to right, an addition with flanking pilasters,
rusticated on the ground floor and topped with ball finials.
Low plain parapet. 3 altered glazing bar windows with concrete
lintels, and impost bands, set in recessed panels under
blocked relieving arches. Below, 4 reglazed windows with
round-arched rubbed brick heads.
To right, a bay with 2 windows on each floor, those to the
ground floor with round heads. To right again, a rounded
corner addition, early C20, with parapet and stepped flat
gable. 8 casements, and below, irregular fenestration. Right
return has 2-storey range of fireproof construction.
Beyond, to left, a 2 storey workshop with first floor band. 6
round-arched windows with transoms, and below, to left, a
segment-arched window. To its left, a slightly lower block
flanked by rusticated pilasters with string course and 4
round-arched openings with transoms. Beyond again, a single
storey workshop flanked by rusticated pilasters, with impost
band and 4 segment-arched windows set in recesses. Between
them, a granite and ashlar tablet recording the bombing of the
works in 1916. To left, 3 segment-headed windows, then a pair
of sliding doors. To their left, a small segment-arched
window, then 2 larger windows, all set in recesses. Beyond
again, a further single storey block with coped wall,
segment-arched blank openings and coped wall.
In the centre of the site, a workshop with lean-to roof and
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Baltic Works is an example of an integrated
works which included its own crucible steel making plant. The
crucible steel process was a highly significant metallurgical
advance, which transformed steelmaking techniques and paved
the way for the development of special and alloy steels.
(Sheffield Trades Historical Society recommendations: Bayliss
D; An Architectural Survey of Urban Development Corporation
Areas: RCHME: Sheffield: London: 1989-: 24).
Listing NGR: SK3742888301
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings