History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moravian Church and Attached Manse

A Grade II Listed Building in Leominster, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2239 / 52°13'26"N

Longitude: -2.739 / 2°44'20"W

OS Eastings: 349614

OS Northings: 258666

OS Grid: SO496586

Mapcode National: GBR FK.216R

Mapcode Global: VH84W.GCVJ

Entry Name: Moravian Church and Attached Manse

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 459834

Location: Leominster, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Leominster

Built-Up Area: Leominster

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Leominster

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Leominster

Listing Text


LEOMINSTER

SO4958 SOUTH STREET
808-1/2/317 (East side)
Moravian Church and attached Manse

GV II

Church and manse. Dated 1759, church altered 1875 and manse
c1900. Red brick with Welsh slate roof and brick ridge and end
stacks. Single long range with single-storey church to left
and 2-storey manse to right.
EXTERIOR: church a 3-window range of C19 stone 2-light windows
probably in the original openings under brick segmental arches
and corniced keystones. Octagonal open lantern on roof ridge.
Stone plinth and moulded stone eaves which continue to right
to the manse. To left a 6-panel door, the upper panels glazed,
with 2/2 sash over, then a 2-storey canted bay with 2/2
sashes, then a similar bay in a c1900 extension and a door
with overlight. Brick inscribed 1759 at extreme right
immediately before extension. On left end the church entrance
with 6-panel door. Church has similar windows to rear and
manse has further 2/2 sashes and lean-tos.
INTERIOR: the orientation of the church was changed in 1875
from a central cross axis entrance (blocking visible below
central windows) and the fittings date from this period, but
the panelled-front gallery may be a reworking of the original.
The roof now has open trusses, but there was originally an
attic because there is a blocked doorway leading from the
attic of the manse. Manse retains 6-panel doors, upper flights
of stick baluster stair and roof with 2 tiers of collars and
purlins.
HISTORY: Leominster's Moravian congregation was established
c1750 and the church consecrated in 1761 by Bishop Gambold.
(Stell C: Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels & Meeting-Houses
in C.England: London: 1986-: 112).


Listing NGR: SO4961458666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LEOMINSTER

SO4958 SOUTH STREET
808-1/2/317 (East side)
Moravian Church and attached Manse

GV II

Church and manse. Dated 1759, church altered 1875 and manse
c1900. Red brick with Welsh slate roof and brick ridge and end
stacks. Single long range with single-storey church to left
and 2-storey manse to right.
EXTERIOR: church a 3-window range of C19 stone 2-light windows
probably in the original openings under brick segmental arches
and corniced keystones. Octagonal open lantern on roof ridge.
Stone plinth and moulded stone eaves which continue to right
to the manse. To left a 6-panel door, the upper panels glazed,
with 2/2 sash over, then a 2-storey canted bay with 2/2
sashes, then a similar bay in a c1900 extension and a door
with overlight. Brick inscribed 1759 at extreme right
immediately before extension. On left end the church entrance
with 6-panel door. Church has similar windows to rear and
manse has further 2/2 sashes and lean-tos.
INTERIOR: the orientation of the church was changed in 1875
from a central cross axis entrance (blocking visible below
central windows) and the fittings date from this period, but
the panelled-front gallery may be a reworking of the original.
The roof now has open trusses, but there was originally an
attic because there is a blocked doorway leading from the
attic of the manse. Manse retains 6-panel doors, upper flights
of stick baluster stair and roof with 2 tiers of collars and
purlins.
HISTORY: Leominster's Moravian congregation was established
c1750 and the church consecrated in 1761 by Bishop Gambold.
(Stell C: Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels & Meeting-Houses
in C.England: London: 1986-: 112).


Listing NGR: SO4961458666

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.