History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15, Sandhill

A Grade II Listed Building in Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9689 / 54°58'8"N

Longitude: -1.6074 / 1°36'26"W

OS Eastings: 425231

OS Northings: 563880

OS Grid: NZ252638

Mapcode National: GBR SQ4.W3

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.8CTM

Entry Name: 15, Sandhill

Listing Date: 25 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255543

English Heritage Legacy ID: 459867

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text

NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SANDHILL
(east side)
1833-24/10030 No 15
GV II
Bank. 1880 by John Burnup & Sons for Lambton & Co. Ground floor remodelled 1990 by
Waller & Sons, Gloucester, for Lloyds Bank. Free classical style. Sandstone ashlar with rock
faced plinth, graduated dark slate roof with ashlar dressings. 4 storeys, 3 windows, the outer
paired. Rock faced plinth to rusticated ground floor. At left, internal steps up to wide double
panelled doors recessed in hollow reveals of arch with elliptical head to plain overlight. 3
round-arched windows to right have plain glazing with transoms. Faceted key and rusticated
voussoirs to door and to 2 right windows; left window, at centre of floor, has moulded head
resting on impost string with supports scroll brackets to first floor balcony. Fluted composite
giant pilasters define bays on first and second floors and support full-width entablature with
modillion cornice. Architraves to pairs windows in outer bays of all upper floors and to single
central windows, all with wood mullions and transoms. Outer first floor windows have wide
pediments, central a segmental pediment, all on scroll brackets and with stone balustrades resting
on floor string, the central a balcony projecting on brackets and partly repaired in brick. Third
floor has square-headed windows in architraves resting on second floor entablature; shallow
pilasters with crocket capitals define bays and support plain top entablature with eaves gutter
cornice. Balustraded roof parapet, partly repaired in brick, is interrupted by central tripartite
casement with plain pilasters and date 1881 in segmental pediment with palmette finial.
Pedimented dormers in outer bays rise behind parapet. Mansard roof has stone gable coping
and tall ashlar end stacks.
(Plans by John Burnup & Sons: T186/934; Alterations by Waller & Sons: T186/9234).


Listing NGR: NZ2523163879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.