This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8001 / 53°48'0"N
Longitude: -1.548 / 1°32'52"W
OS Eastings: 429869
OS Northings: 433848
OS Grid: SE298338
Mapcode National: GBR BJK.1K
Mapcode Global: WHC9D.6R44
Entry Name: City Art Gallery and Henry Moore Centre
Listing Date: 26 September 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465586
Location: Leeds, LS1
Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Leeds St George
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2933NE THE HEADROW
714-1/75/76 (North side)
26/09/63 City Art Gallery and Henry Moore
Formerly known as: Municipal Buildings including Art Gallery
and Library CALVERLEY STREET.
Leeds City Art Gallery. 1886-88, altered and extended late
C20. By WH Thorp. Alterations and extension on S side,
overlying Centenary Street, 1982, by JV Thorp (City
Architect's Dept) and Neville Condor Associates.
The original range is ashlar, slate and lead roof, 2 storeys;
entrance far right, corner with Alexander Street, the ground
floor large flat-headed mullion and transom windows with
pilasters between are concealed by the later addition which
has entrance lobby and Henry Moore Gallery. Steps and ramp to
front, statue of reclining woman by Henry Moore.
INTERIOR: original range has entrance hall with fine stone
divided staircase and a statue of Queen Anne by Andrew
Carpenter, 1712; library with gallery and cast-iron columns.
The statue of Queen Anne came from the demolished Moot Hall,
Briggate, built 1630, demolished 1820.
The Art Gallery was built behind the Municipal Buildings which
housed the Public Library and the S side faced onto Centenary
Street, with a warehouse block on the S side of that street
obscuring the facade. The library's Reading Room was converted
to a sculpture gallery and the Art Gallery library was the
News Room. A 1st-floor bridge links this building with No.74
The Headrow, premises of the Henry Moore Centre for the Study
of Sculpture (qv).
The City Art Gallery was first added to the list 16/10/91.
(Public Library Local History Collection: Photograph of
Listing NGR: SE2986933848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings