This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8196 / 53°49'10"N
Longitude: -1.5732 / 1°34'23"W
OS Eastings: 428193
OS Northings: 436012
OS Grid: SE281360
Mapcode National: GBR BBB.NK
Mapcode Global: WHC9C.T814
Entry Name: Headingley Castle and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 5 August 1976
Last Amended: 11 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465425
Location: Leeds, LS6
Electoral Ward/Division: Headingley
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Headingley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2836SW HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley
714-1/62/781 (North East side)
05/08/76 Headingley Castle and attached wall
(Formerly Listed as:
HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley
(North East side)
Large house, now offices, with terrace wall. 1846, altered
C20. For Thomas England, by John Child. Ashlar, slate roof. 2
and 3 storeys, 5 bays. Tudor style.
Central entrance bay projects with panelled double doors under
a porte cochere with Tudor arch and angle buttresses; oriel
window above and 3-light window with hoodmould to 2nd floor;
octagonal angle buttresses rise as panelled turrets to upper
storey, flanking battlemented parapet; a large octagonal
turret at rear of tower. Ground floor right: a large bay
window comprising 3 cross windows, crenellated blocking course
and octagonal angle turret. Remaining windows are paired cross
windows with hoodmoulds; 1st-floor string course, deep
crenellated blocking course, tall triple attached octagonal
stacks to left and right.
INTERIOR: entrance hall only inspected, octagonal entrance
hall, vaulted with niches, 4-centred arch to stairwell with
large lantern over on brackets. Reputed to retain 3
ground-floor rooms with plaster ceilings, one with pendants
and marble fireplaces: the names "Johannes Child "(sic) and
"Thomas England", and 1846 on the stained glass of the
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: terrace wall to west: coursed stone and
ashlar, overall length approx 50m, attached to the NW corner
of the house and returned to S to enclose the N and W sides of
the terrace; approx 2m high, battered plinth, moulded string
with large ashlar blocks, moulded and battlemented coping;
Tudor arch with studded plank door at N end and a massive
terminal with moulded capstone at S end.
The plan and elevation are very similar, though larger, to
No.48, 'Ashwood' (qv), by John Child. The house was built on
22 acres of the Bainbrigge estate land bought from Barbara
Marshall. Thomas England was a corn factor of Park Square,
Leeds; in 1872 Arthur Lupton, 'gent' lived here.
(Douglas, J (Victorian Society) pers. comm.; Porter's
Directory of Leeds: 1872-; RHCME: Report: Headingley Castle,
Headingley Lane: 1995-).
Listing NGR: SE2819336012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings