History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill to South of Highbury Works

A Grade II Listed Building in Moortown, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8284 / 53°49'42"N

Longitude: -1.5706 / 1°34'14"W

OS Eastings: 428357

OS Northings: 436986

OS Grid: SE283369

Mapcode National: GBR BC7.6F

Mapcode Global: WHC9C.V18F

Entry Name: Mill to South of Highbury Works

Listing Date: 7 September 1994

Last Amended: 11 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465144

Location: Leeds, LS6

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Moortown

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Far Headingley St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Listing Text


LEEDS

SE2836NW GREEN ROAD, Meanwood
714-1/60/1310 (South West side)
07/09/94 Mill to south of Highbury Works
(Formerly Listed as:
GREEN ROAD
(South West side)
Mill to south of Highbury Works,
formerly Meanwood Tannery)

GV II

Paper mill, later tannery, now vacant. c1800, 1844 and 1857,
with later alterations. For Thomas Martin, converted for
Samuel Smith. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and hipped
corrugated sheet roof with 8 circular metal ventilators.
Quoins and second-floor sill band. 3 storeys. L-plan.
East front, 13 bays, with to right a pair of double doors to
each floor. Ground floor has various blocked windows, and
above an off-centre loft door with to right four 2-light
windows and to right 7 similar windows. Above again 12
openings, originally with louvred shutters now partly blocked
with 3-light upper windows. Left return to south has 2 bays
with similar fenestration.
West front, 12 bays, arranged 5:8 with the left block
projecting. Set back wing to right has 8 windows with 8
windows above, mostly blocked, and above again 8 openings,
originally with louvred shutters now partly blocked with 2-
and 3-light upper windows.
INTERIOR: has wooden beams and floors with original wooden
staircases.
Built for Thomas Martin as a paper mill and converted by
Samuel Smith to a tannery.



Listing NGR: SE2835736986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.